Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes

    Amana gas package unit will not spark???

    I am stumped!
    I am working on a 5 year old 13 seer Amana gas pack model APG1324070M41A that will not spark to light burners. The inducer fan motor runs, pressure switch closes, I can hear relays on board activating and randomly when ever it feels like it there will be one blast of spark at spark igniter but not enough to light burners. I have already replaced the control board and have checked and rechecked my ground at board I even added one to be sure but still will not provide spark for ignition. Any ideas???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    7,006
    Post Likes
    If you can provide us some information about what you’ve measured we may be able to help. Draft, safeties ohmed, voltage?
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

    Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/


    There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    624
    Post Likes
    Since this is an open forum we cant give you too much troubleshooting advice. I will say that everything involving the spark should be shiny clean.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Not sure what to add 230 volts to unit 24.7 volts from Lv transformer, 0 volts across pressure switch everything appears to be running fine but random flash of spark is all I get and never has a fault code or goes into soft lock out. Just acts like normal except nothing to ignite the gas.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I have shined up everything from igniter to area under board that ground screws go into I even added a ground wire nothing has changed I have spent several hours on it the last few days but was looking for ideas of things I may have missed. It is getting expensive to be sitting working on this not making any income.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    624
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey F View Post
    I have shined up everything from igniter to area under board that ground screws go into I even added a ground wire nothing has changed I have spent several hours on it the last few days but was looking for ideas of things I may have missed. It is getting expensive to be sitting working on this not making any income.
    Have you checked if it will spark straight from the board? Ive had a few that had the insulation wear thin or even through on the spark wire. If it is touching the chassis anywhere before the ignitor tip it wont spark. I usually keep a handful of spark igniters on my van to test with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Have you checked if it will spark straight from the board? Ive had a few that had the insulation wear thin or even through on the spark wire. If it is touching the chassis anywhere before the ignitor tip it wont spark. I usually keep a handful of spark igniters on my van to test with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I inspected the wire from end to end and did not see any bare spots, rerouted wire to keep away from any metal best I could and ohmed out wire to check for broken wire and it was good but I did not have another igniter with me at the time to try but I will be taking one back with me tomorrow for sure. The home owner said that he lost power while he was away had to reset microwave etc. and had to replace the 3 amp fuse on the board that had blown to get it to this point. The igniter wire should not have caused the low voltage fuse to blow do you agree? Does that take you in any other direction or still leaning towards igniter / wire...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    624
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey F View Post
    I inspected the wire from end to end and did not see any bare spots, rerouted wire to keep away from any metal best I could and ohmed out wire to check for broken wire and it was good but I did not have another igniter with me at the time to try but I will be taking one back with me tomorrow for sure. The home owner said that he lost power while he was away had to reset microwave etc. and had to replace the 3 amp fuse on the board that had blown to get it to this point. The igniter wire should not have caused the low voltage fuse to blow do you agree? Does that take you in any other direction or still leaning towards igniter / wire...
    Was the power loss before you swapped the board? If so then Im still leaning toward an ignitor issue. If not then I would be suspecting the board. Either way, testing its ability to spark would be my next step. I dont really think I can say much else in this section. You might want to sign up for pro status since then we can go more in depth with testing and stuff.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Yes power loss was before replacing board...
    I just started here did not know about different levels like ( Pro ) I work for myself so I don’t have anyone to bounce ideas off of anymore like I did when I worked for a bigger company with multiple techs so that is why I signed up here. I will look into the other levels I certainly appreciate your input, you can get into your own head when talking to yourself trying to figure things out. God bless

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    624
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey F View Post
    Yes power loss was before replacing board...
    I just started here did not know about different levels like ( Pro ) I work for myself so I dont have anyone to bounce ideas off of anymore like I did when I worked for a bigger company with multiple techs so that is why I signed up here. I will look into the other levels I certainly appreciate your input, you can get into your own head when talking to yourself trying to figure things out. God bless
    This sites great for doing that. Most of the guys on here like to help each other out. Im very glad I signed up because Im in a similar situation as you. Ive got a boss but for various reasons hes not the tech he once was and I have to figure the difficult stuff out myself.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    How do I get to a level where everything is not so watered down to protect the innocent lol.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    624
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey F View Post
    How do I get to a level where everything is not so watered down to protect the innocent lol.
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...nal-Membership




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thank you
    I look forward to further discussion in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •