Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Is this a merchant coupling on my natural gas line!?

Hello,

Im new here and having a new HE Lennox furnace installed. The install is not going well. I could discuss in detail, but I believe I have found what appears to be a illegal merchant coupling installed on top of everything else that went wrong today. I am using natural gas. Can any of you tell me if I am correct about the illegal fitting seen in the pic? Below is what happened and is mainly a reminder for myself if things keep going sour with the installer.

1. During the removal of the install a main water line was broken (plastic pvc). It was o.k. I knew where the main shut off valve was. Not a big mess. If thats the worst that happened, then okay. I planned on having the remains of an abandoned water softener removed anyways. All was forgiven.......
    2. Dirty carpet, they tried. Its gross outside. All was forgiven. I can clean the carpet.
    3. Incorrectly installed exhaust flues on the roof, nail heads open to the elements, not under shingles, glued back down etc. Its cold out. Shingles are brittle. I'll fix it this summer. All was forgiven. The kid doing the install is new..........it was o.k.
    4. 110 volt transformer left hooked up to 220 volt breaker........Fried the transformer......All was forgiven......replaced it with a new 100% o.e.m. part, then
    5. Motherboard fried, then
    6. Thermostat fried, then
    7. Blower motor started smoking like a diesel engine!!!!! Not forgiven
    8. Water line repaired and leaking........Had a bad shark-bite............new Shark-bite, seems to be leak free.
    9. No real plan upon arrival. Missing parts like the condensation pump.....missing gas line fitting.......was suppose to be 2 into one on the exhaust/fresh air intake....
    10. Illegal merchant gas line fitting used? If so this is unreal. Its Monday after all. There was no real plan or communication with this installer and his team.

I asked for a 100% new unit like I originally planned on paying for. At this point I believe they will make that happen. Shit happens, but damnit son........!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Did you get a good price?
    Sounds like they are new to the trade too.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    I acquired multiple quotes. All were in well within a couple hundred bucks of one another using the Lennox brand. I have used this company before at my place of employment for commercial services. Paid them a lot of money for the commercial services. Any small problems were quickly dealt with prior, so I assume and hope for the best now. Heard from them. My request for a 100% new unit should be met. Ive had bad days too....Im a little older now and less prone to the old ways of handling bad situations. lol. The kid was new on the roof, just unsupervised. I should have watched him, but I shouldn't have had to..........I remember when I was new at things too so......

Post Likes
    The brass fitting is an SST adapter. It’s ok. However, the coupling is a thread protector, NOT a pipe coupling because it does not have tapered threads. It must be replaced.
    It doesn’t matter if they’re new. What does matter is they seem to be dangerous.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Thank you for the input. I will just shut off the gas at the meter.............what a day!

Post Likes
    It appears to be a CSST male straight fitting (CSST to MIP). The gas ball valve should be located at that point, with a BIP union between it and the furnace.
    never say never

Post Likes
    Is this CSST to MIP acceptable if that is indeed what it is? Yeah, I thought it should have a union (BIP) of some sort like you mentioned. Im not a pro by any means, but I am observant and pay attention to other installs, etc. I like to watch......haha that sounds dirty...!

Post Likes
    Yes the gas line is CSST black/lightning approved. I mean is the straight fitting/coupling o.k. to the CSST? I just want to hear a yeah or nah from more than 2 or 3 people. Im not trying to say others are wrong. I want to know before I bring it up with the installer after everything else that has happened today.

Post Likes
    Yes, the fitting is a standard transition. CSST needs a grounding bond #6 wire by approved local means. A union after gas shutoff required for working on furnace.
    never say never

Post Likes
    Like Dean mentioned, the black coupling should be replaced, preferably w a valve at that point (tapered iron pipe).
    never say never

Post Likes
    understood, thank you for the input

Post Likes
    I wouldnt go to the extent to shut off your gas.
    There are tons of those out there that are working just fine. Get them to replace it though.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    We get fittings from a supply house that look like "merchant couplers" but they are not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast