Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Ice Rink Chiller

Anyone have experience with chillers that freeze the water for an ice rink? Lets say a water cooled system, any reason why it shouldn't be able to run when its 60 degrees outside?

Post Likes
    What does it trip on

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Low gas

Post Likes
    Is this an outdoor rink with glycol? If ambient is too high, the ice will melt as fast as you make it.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    Is this an outdoor rink with glycol? If ambient is too high, the ice will melt as fast as you make it.

Yes with Glycol.

Now or the issue... I am by no means an expert on chillers, certainly not done anything with one for an ice rink...

There is 4 compressors.. 2 condenser barrels ... (2 compressors for each condenser barrel) ... Cooling tower on roof set to 55 degrees water temp so if above, 55 it kicks the fan on...

First startup all compressors trip.... 3 an 4 high discharge.. 1 overload .. 2 I dont even remember... The experienced guy I was with said it was too warm outside.. My first inkling was is this dude blowing smoke because its a water cooled condenser and the water temp was 57 degrees. Suction pressures looked in range according to the display controller. .. I say we check the strainer... I did.. some chit was in it, sand, etc... restart system.... compressor 1 and2 higher than they should be, but dont trip... 3 and 4 are close to tripping high discharge but do not...

Experienced mech said again, to warm out... and ice rink chillers are different...

I thought to myself they should still use condenser approach temp .... if 1 and 2 are much lower than 3 and 4 .. obviously there is an issue with 3 and 4 ...

Anyways, I dont know if I provided enough info... but it just didnt make any sense the answer i was getting back from the experienced chiller mech.. They only had leaving water temp from tower, the supply to tower had a missing sensor..

This was not a service call, was there to assist with motor replacement in tower... happen to watch what the mechanic i worked with was doing. When he tried saying it was the same thing to an ac tripping on a hot day I just gave in and said ok... I didnt want to argue.

Post Likes
    I'm no pro with ice rink but refrigeration is refrigeration.

Is it a indoor ice rink?

If.yes what is the ice (or evap temperature)?
    I find 55 f pretty low for condensor water, normal value should be 70 to 75 I believe.

Something is fishy in this story. But we need more info.

Condensor approach is a good start. Flow reading might help too or at least TD at the barrel

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatmaster View Post
    Yes with Glycol.

Now or the issue... I am by no means an expert on chillers, certainly not done anything with one for an ice rink...

There is 4 compressors.. 2 condenser barrels ... (2 compressors for each condenser barrel) ... Cooling tower on roof set to 55 degrees water temp so if above, 55 it kicks the fan on...

First startup all compressors trip.... 3 an 4 high discharge.. 1 overload .. 2 I dont even remember... The experienced guy I was with said it was too warm outside.. My first inkling was is this dude blowing smoke because its a water cooled condenser and the water temp was 57 degrees. Suction pressures looked in range according to the display controller. .. I say we check the strainer... I did.. some chit was in it, sand, etc... restart system.... compressor 1 and2 higher than they should be, but dont trip... 3 and 4 are close to tripping high discharge but do not...

Experienced mech said again, to warm out... and ice rink chillers are different...

I thought to myself they should still use condenser approach temp .... if 1 and 2 are much lower than 3 and 4 .. obviously there is an issue with 3 and 4 ...

Anyways, I dont know if I provided enough info... but it just didnt make any sense the answer i was getting back from the experienced chiller mech.. They only had leaving water temp from tower, the supply to tower had a missing sensor..

This was not a service call, was there to assist with motor replacement in tower... happen to watch what the mechanic i worked with was doing. When he tried saying it was the same thing to an ac tripping on a hot day I just gave in and said ok... I didnt want to argue.
    Ok, the load is too high. I take it there isn't any ice yet. The condenser is being overloaded. I know some process/comfort cooling chillers hold out compressors if the evap is too warm. I think that's what's going on here. You should try holding some compressors out until the glycol temp starts to drop. As it does, try enabling one at a time as the temp drops. What's your setpoint? Around 16°F?
    Edit: As stated, check the condenser approach. It's the liquid line temp vs leaving condenser water (Pretty sure you knew that but wanted to throw it out there just in case!). Depending on the design of the condenser and tubes, it could range from a few tenths to maybe 10°F. Flow rate and tube cleanliness will affect it too.

-----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    what refrigerant? WhAt is the design condensing temp.? What is the design evap. Temp. ?

4 compressors with 2 condensers? You likely only have one condenser, but have other heat exchangers for the warm floor, Ice melt, etc. depends on your installation, all are designed specifically for the space.

How many ice sheets do you have?

Post Likes
    I did TAB on a hockey arena. All I know about the chiller is they could produce ice anytime they wanted. This was an indoor pro arena.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Centrifugal or recips?

Agreed Too high of a load on start up.

Also agree why 1 & 2 lower then 3 & 4, tubes fouled?

Post Likes
    If you are asking me pecmsg I don't know. It wasn't part of the HVAC system so not part of my work. I only know they could make ice anytime and melt it anytime.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    If you are asking me pecmsg I don't know. It wasn't part of the HVAC system so not part of my work. I only know they could make ice anytime and melt it anytime.
    The OP

I agree with you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Centrifugal or recips?

Agreed Too high of a load on start up.

Also agree why 1 & 2 lower then 3 & 4, tubes fouled?
    I believe recips with 4 internal loaders or stages built in that you can see on the display when the compressors was running at 25% or 50% or 100%... After I pulled the strainer I thought next the tubes needed to be punched, but other mech said no it was to warm outside. I told him about the condenser approach temps and he said it wasn't a normal chiller or refrigeration it was for an ice rink.. I just said OK and left it at that.

I can see the load being high yes, and would explain why the pressures on 1 and 2 were 195-200 (407c refrigerant) 3 and 4 were 290's... i think the high discharge cut out was 300.... I think the tubes are dirty.. 3 and 4 shared the same condenser. Will never know, mech told customer to wait until it was colder out before starting them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast