Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Second opinion appreciated - 11yr old gas furnace needs replacing?

Hello all,

This is my first post but I really did not know where to turn to. So your expertise would be very much appreciated and forgive me for the newbie long post.

Background:

I have an 11 yr old American Standard UH2C100A9V4VA gas furnace which was installed in 2008. The gas furnace functions as aux heat to our heat pump system which kicks in above 35deg. The original install company closed a year later when the owner retired.

In the last 1.5 years, I've had both the flame sensor and igniter replaced twice by different technicians who seemed to think that was the only issue. Both times, when the flame sensor was replaced, the the igniter then seemed to not work, so then that was replaced. Then the system would work somewhat better. but the issue remains that the furnace still doesn't ignite immediately sometimes and its predictability seems to be random, which makes it impossible to go away from the house in winter. (The only error code I ever got was two red flashes - system lockout - after it fails trying to start 3 times.)

Many visits and several thousands of dollars later, the most recent "senior" tech from our propane company said the issue seems to be flame blowback on the flame sensor and he thinks it's due to a hole or crack in the heat exchanger (he saw some rust on it). The recommendation is to replace the furnace (they will give us a break on the pricing if they do the installing) and sited CO2 danger, etc.

While we are waiting for an estimate from them, right now the furnace is starting upon 1st or 2nd try.

Does all this ring true/legit to you? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Post Likes
    Before spending a LOT of money get a second opinion.

Post Likes
    Yes, we plan on doing so but the issue is we don't know who to trust since the community is small and the business owners seem to all know each other... I fully realize that no expert can accurately diagnose over reading a problem online, but just wanted to know if this seemed fishy or legit. Thank you

Post Likes
    I’d get a second opinion. Not normal for the heat exchanger to fail after just 11 years.
    Other things can cause rollout conditions.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ang2277 View Post
    Yes, we plan on doing so but the issue is we don't know who to trust since the community is small and the business owners seem to all know each other... I fully realize that no expert can accurately diagnose over reading a problem online, but just wanted to know if this seemed fishy or legit. Thank you
    As far as Im concerned over 1/2 of the contractors out there are not qualified.
    When you find one hold on tight.

Post Likes
    (sorry double post)

Post Likes
    "I’d get a second opinion. Not normal for the heat exchanger to fail after just 11 years.
    Other things can cause rollout conditions"

Even if they saw "rust" on it? They said they planned on coming back with a camera to check for holes or cracks, but then their manager called and recommended a full furnace replacement.

Post Likes
    Are you kidding me? They want to replace your XV95 because they can’t fix it?
    They likely installed a generic replacement igniter, not the oem. Trane/ AmStd. uses a logic control that reduces voltage to the igniter for maximum efficiency. If the oem igniter is not used it will likely show/cause random failures. Your furnace doesn’t even get much use because of it being in dual fuel configuration. So, it should likely last much longer.

Sounds to me like you need a Trane rep take a look before dropping big bucks on a replacement.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Those are great furnaces though propane is harder on furnaces than natural gas. But I agree, somehow find a great tech to figure it out. American Standard suppliers are supposed to have a tech rep on staff to help local dealers on cases like this. Ask who sells the equipment to them and if that supplier has a tech rep.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    They likely installed a generic replacement igniter, not the oem. Trane/ AmStd. uses a logic control that reduces voltage to the igniter for maximum efficiency. If the oem igniter is not used it will likely show/cause random failures. Your furnace doesn’t even get much use because of it being in dual fuel configuration. So, it should likely last much longer.

Sounds to me like you need a Trane rep take a look before dropping big bucks on a replacement.
    Thank you so much! This information is very helpful. We're waiting for a callback from a Trane authorized place but good to know about this.

Post Likes
    Believe that furnace came with a limited lifetime HX warranty to original owner if registered, if never registered should have a 20 year warranty, course dont know what they would charge for the labor and what not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post

Drats - we just checked the igniter number (on the plug) and it's an OEM IGN-0145 / IGN-0117 Replacement so it's the right part. Was so hoping that was the culprit.

Post Likes
    Heat exchanger is under warranty. You'll have to pay 3 hours labor tops to change it. Whole lot cheaper than a new furnace.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast