Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Heat exchanger is under warranty. You'll have to pay 3 hours labor tops to change it. Whole lot cheaper than a new furnace.
    Thank you, we are checking on the warranty now and see what our coverage is.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Those are great furnaces though propane is harder on furnaces than natural gas. But I agree, somehow find a great tech to figure it out. American Standard suppliers are supposed to have a tech rep on staff to help local dealers on cases like this. Ask who sells the equipment to them and if that supplier has a tech rep.
    It's been very hard to get in touch with an American Standard furnace dealer/techs in our area! No return calls and the American Standard website is a labyrinth of redirects. We will keep trying.

FYI - the propane company casually said "you know we can get your house condemned" implying that if we don't get our furnace replaced by them then they will cause issues for us. Interesting tactic.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ang2277 View Post
    It's been very hard to get in touch with an American Standard furnace dealer/techs in our area! No return calls and the American Standard website is a labyrinth of redirects. We will keep trying.

FYI - the propane company casually said "you know we can get your house condemned" implying that if we don't get our furnace replaced by them then they will cause issues for us. Interesting tactic.
    Tell them to do it!

Then contact your Attorney General and tell them you've been threatened!

Post Likes
    I would want to see a Combustion Analysis done before condemning anything for starters. Barring that there are other ways to check the heat exchanger for breaches that may not be seen with a camera.

Second LP is hard on burners etc, I wonder how clean/rust free the burners are. Then with LP pressure can be a huge issue on some units. If the incoming pressure is to high or low or if the manifold pressure is off the burners don't like to light.

The other thing just thinking out loud is venting can cause problems.

So the bottom line is there is a myriad of things that it could be.

Post Likes
    If you think there might be a safety issue, make sure you have CO detectors in the house especially around the sleeping areas.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I would want to see a Combustion Analysis done before condemning anything for starters. Barring that there are other ways to check the heat exchanger for breaches that may not be seen with a camera.

Second LP is hard on burners etc, I wonder how clean/rust free the burners are. Then with LP pressure can be a huge issue on some units. If the incoming pressure is to high or low or if the manifold pressure is off the burners don't like to light.

The other thing just thinking out loud is venting can cause problems.

So the bottom line is there is a myriad of things that it could be.
    Thank you for your input!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    If you think there might be a safety issue, make sure you have CO detectors in the house especially around the sleeping areas.
    Yes we do have CO detectors on each floor including the basement near the furnace. For the upper floors, is it more effective mounted low?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ang2277 View Post
    Yes we do have CO detectors on each floor including the basement near the furnace. For the upper floors, is it more effective mounted low?
    OSHA Allows us 50 PPM over an 8 hr period, your UL Approved detector will not alarm until 70 PPM for 1 hour! You need a Low Level CO Detectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    OSHA Allows us 50 PPM over an 8 hr period, your UL Approved detector will not alarm until 70 PPM for 1 hour! You need a Low Level CO Detectors.
    We have one that detects 30 to 999 PPM. Although we doubt there's really a CO issue because I am the first one to be intolerant of gasses (I get respiratory problems) and I sleep close to a heat vent.

Don't techs usually have low level CO detectors? We have an appointment for a second opinion, finally!

Post Likes
    Ang, where are you? I'll snoop a bit and see who the supplier is closest to you.

AS has an option for stainless steel burners with their LP kit, we always go that way. They can be had separately if yours are getting rusty.

That's the 80 volt ignitor assuming you still have the old Intell-ignition board. They are upgrading all boards to a relay switched 120V ignitor and providing a new ignitor in the kit.

We have the same furnace in our office. In 16 years, I've replaced 2 motor modules. Period. Flame sensor hasn't been cleaned, nothing. But not on LP.

Post Likes
    Ang, where are you? I'll snoop a bit and see who the supplier is closest to you.

AS has an option for stainless steel burners with their LP kit, we always go that way. They can be had separately if yours are getting rusty.

That's the 80 volt ignitor assuming you still have the old Intell-ignition board. They are upgrading all boards to a relay switched 120V ignitor and providing a new ignitor in the kit.

We have the same furnace in our office. In 16 years, I've replaced 2 motor modules. Period. Flame sensor hasn't been cleaned, nothing. But not on LP.
    Got you beat. I have a TUY in my shop "N" serial number which makes it 20-21 years old. The only thing I have done with it is a Combustion Analysis a couple times when I wanted to test the analyzer.

Post Likes

Got you beat. I have a TUY in my shop "N" serial number which makes it 20-21 years old. The only thing I have done with it is a Combustion Analysis a couple times when I wanted to test the analyzer.

Post Likes

I'm in Hudson Valley, New Paltz to be exact. We went through the American Standard site but there are only a few dealers for our area. We've contacted ComforTech which is supposed to be an authorized company several times but they never called back!

We did not see that the burners were too rusty - they had some dirty spots on it that the last guy cleaned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast