+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas Fireplaces flames wont go completely off

Post Likes

Gas Fireplaces flames wont go completely off

Good morning,

Ive been searching everywhere for information on this problem, but no one seems to be having this, and hoping someone here can help me out!

I have a Montigo DV36 gas fireplace, that works just fine, but when it reaches the set temperature on the thermostat, the flames don't go completely out, they just go very low. I don't mean the pilot light of course, i mean a full line of low orange flames across the entire main burner. When the Thermostat kicks back in, it roars back to full flames like normal, just never goes completely "out" when it reaches desired temp like it did in previous years.

If I flip the switch underneath from ON to PILOT, the flames do go out and left with just the pilot light, which looks healthy and normal. I dont think there is any gas supply issues.

I tried changing the thermostat since i had a spare anyways, but that didnt fix it.

My best guess is that the gas control valve is faulty, but its a really expensive part, and beyond my comfort zone to change since im not trained with gas liens so hoping I can make sure thats the problem before I go that route, and maybe you guys know of any other potential cause for this?

Thanks very much!

Post Likes
    Unfortunately we can't give DIY information per site rules.
    Your assumption sounds correct though.

Post Likes
    Thats fair, im definitely not looking for help doing this repair myself, just in isolating the problem. There are a hundred pilot light related issues discussed, but never this one that I could find, so just wanted to hear if anything else might be causing this. I will be calling a professional to do this, but I do like to be informed when I do need to call, and can save us both time by eliminating all other possibilities first.

Thank you for the reply.

Post Likes
    Keep us posted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Keep us posted.
    Installed new millivolt gas valve this morning, and problem solved, works great!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloon View Post
    Installed new millivolt gas valve this morning, and problem solved, works great!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in