+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Dumb' Loytec L-INX Auto Server

Post Likes

Confused 'Dumb' Loytec L-INX Auto Server

A U.S. retro-commissioning (RCx) team put in a Loytec LINX-215 Automation Server that's supporting a LON network (AHU & HW boiler). I was asked to support the Japanese "DDC techs" per a HW valve issue.

The 'control techs' had their laptop pulled into the Loytec server. They said they couldn't connect. I'm not familiar with the Loytec 'auto server' gear, but when I took look at the display screen and rotated the knob to view the various displays, I've found what appeared to be a very 'dumb' server (see attached). I'm pretty sure the RCx team had the IP address defined - now it's 0.0.0.0.
    I did a power reboot - no success - same screen displays.

I appreciate any comments on what may of happened. How did the L-INX router get 'dumb'. It's in a a "Not Configured" state - maybe it was never 'commissioned'. Is this a typical issue with Loytec gear - mysteriously going 'dumb'?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    If the address is setup DHCP and there is no link the address will go to 0.0.0.0 - rather standard result for a certain OS if you know something about those things.

That 215 is like a Tridium JACE with far more programmable capability down to 10ms cycle timing and capable for about 160 I/O, with 4 million trend entries and a javascript engine. You don't worry about heap management. It also delivers data at very high rates.

What you do need is to be educated on it is my impression based on your post.

Post Likes
    Forgot to add - get a valid ethernet connection and start again.

Post Likes
    Boom!

Post Likes
    What are they using it for? You say supporting, but how - web interface w/graphics, Lon interface only/other? Was it ever configured?

Makes me wonder if they were just using it for a LON to IP router/interface? Is there even a LON cable going to it? Almost seems more like it was never set up or maybe someone set it back to default and/or tried to load incorrect firmware?

Instructions on it are easy to get off the web, just register on the Loytec website and you'll have access to all documentation and firmware. It does seem odd to me the firmware is reading 0.0.0.0, but I haven't worked with many of these.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    We got it to work...just need patience. Got mislead by those who said "just plug your notebook and fire up the web browser (BUI, not GUI) to look at the data points" (the point of the visit was to troubleshoot a HW valve). That 'plug and play' idea became a mugs game.
    The Loytec server was not setup for DHCP ("DHCP = No"). Learned that when you connect the notebook to the Loytec LINX-215 the IP address on the display switches from 0.0.0.0 to the static IP (192,168.1.88). At first you would think that the display should show the static IP - nice convenience, that - however I see the 'wisdom' in that switching: if the ethernet cable is bad or the NIC is 'nicked' or some other "Layer 0" issue, then the "0.0.0.0" display is a good 'dog bark'. Knowing the IP address allowed us to pop it into the browser and get the 'config' page. Woof-Woof...

Post Likes
    Created a basic L-INX 'user manual' for the HVAC shop guys - just basic instructions to look at points, modify setpoints and the time schedules (see attached) The facility HVAC guys are pretty basic when it comes to PC tech. RCx contractors gave them a few Dell notebooks and setup Firefox web-browser to 'auto-populate' the L-INX IP address when they connected to the Loytec Auto Server (static IP addr).

Different approach: the shop techs really don't need a notebook to do basic troubleshooting in a mech room. Just need to view the points and override field devices to troubleshoot a problem (eg, HW valve, fan speed etc). (passwords could be setup for overrides). Notebooks should be only used for an 'engineering tool' (sequence of operation or graphics update).

Found out that Loytec provides a touchscreen which communicates via LON, BACnet or Modbus.
    A touchscreen should be pretty safe from 'malware vectors' and other troll attacks since there's no Ethernet jack, no NIC - which should mean no IP stack to jack with. Removes the worry & maintenance of having the HVAC shop keeping a notebook safe from cyber vulnerabilities and virus update management. Touchscreens could dedicated to each DDC panel or kept at the shop to be checked out. Anyone seen this approach?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    The LINX has two ports. You can just expose the HTML-5 project out one port and lock down everything else. Put a simple set of graphics and the scheduler in it. Add your access control in the project. Most of those checked things in your document on page 6 could be de-checked on the side needing isolation.

If you want, you can add a LOYTEC WiFi module or connect that one port to a local router and when the staff is in local range of that they can connect and have it on their phone. Slap a QR code on the panel so it loads the project you want them to view. You can optimize the project(s) to fit the phone.

Post Likes
    ...or just get some older tablet and leave it there plugged in.

Also the LVIS works better than the tablet, but you have hardware on site already.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in