Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes

TAM9 INFO

Quote Originally Posted by wolfewl View Post
    Can someone tell me the maximum TESP for a Trane TAM9?

I thought it was supposed to be on a cabinet sticker but I can't find it...
    TRANE TAM9
    _________ BLOWER INFORMATION Galore

CCCC

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/...p-to-watt.html

CCCC
    CCCCC

https://www.trane.com/content/dam/Tr...N_05092017.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Thank you. I call myself looking through all of that (one of which was from my post), I still don't see what the maximum TESP is...?

Maybe I don't understand what I'm looking for... I'm under the impression that every unit is designed to have a maximum working external static pressure and that number is listed for each specific unit.

Post Likes
    I believe the max TESP for these units are .8”WC. I personally do not like units to have anything over a .5”WC SPLIT evenly between the supply and return. So like a .25 supply .25 return.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    I believe the max TESP for these units are .8”WC.
    Thank you!

Post Likes
    Thank you. I call myself looking through all of that (one of which was from my post), I still don't see what the maximum TESP is...?

Maybe I don't understand what I'm looking for... I'm under the impression that every unit is designed to have a maximum working external static pressure and that number is listed for each specific unit.
    IF 5 ton blower with 1 HP motor exceeds 750 watts, the Service Factor > 1.0. Decrease in long term life should be anticipated. HOW MUCH? WHO KNOWS? --- depends whether it is actually operating at 1.04 or 1.22 Service Factor.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes

UPDATE

Dealer spent two days taking static pressures and working on the system.

Static pressures look good through the system with a TESP of .4"-.5" at 1800-2000 scfm. Problem is the cabinet pressure is showing 1.4" and standing next to it there's no doubt it's real. Directly outside the cabinet on the discharge pressure is much lower (Dealer got a second set of gauges and verified readings again with the same results). Inspected the unit, coil, verified proper fan orientation/installation, no obstructions, etc.

I have an Aprilaire model 213 filter (MERV 13) mounted against the cabinet on the intake. No other filter in the system. As soon as the filter is removed the cabinet pressure lowers to what is reading on the physical gauges. This is repeatable.

Dealer decided intake wasn't big enough and increased both intake ducts from 16" to 18". They also replaced the 90 degree box on the outlet with a sweep 90. After that, I'm still experiencing the same issue, motor ramps up and high cabinet pressure with the filter in place. Remove the filter and the system lines out.

I'm looking for addition ideas and/or explanations. My understanding is this is a typical filter location/installation and should not be causing the cabinet pressure issue. Ideas?

Post Likes
    Dealer spent two days taking static pressures and working on the system.

Static pressures look good through the system with a TESP of .4"-.5" at 1800-2000 scfm. Problem is the cabinet pressure is showing 1.4" and standing next to it there's no doubt it's real. Directly outside the cabinet on the discharge pressure is much lower (Dealer got a second set of gauges and verified readings again with the same results). Inspected the unit, coil, verified proper fan orientation/installation, no obstructions, etc.

I have an Aprilaire model 213 filter (MERV 13) mounted against the cabinet on the intake. No other filter in the system. As soon as the filter is removed the cabinet pressure lowers to what is reading on the physical gauges. This is repeatable.

Dealer decided intake wasn't big enough and increased both intake ducts from 16" to 18". They also replaced the 90 degree box on the outlet with a sweep 90. After that, I'm still experiencing the same issue, motor ramps up and high cabinet pressure with the filter in place. Remove the filter and the system lines out.

I'm looking for addition ideas and/or explanations. My understanding is this is a typical filter location/installation and should not be causing the cabinet pressure issue. Ideas?
    What do you mean by cabinet pressure? The media filter is not part of the cabinet and the TESP is taken between the filter and air handler. Total external static pressure means external of the air handler. You're saying it's .4-.5" not including the filter, well if sized properly a filter only adds .2-.3". So, if the unit is running at .8", it should not have anything to do with your issues.

The load value and parameter settings on the thermostat will help dictate the compressor speed, as well as the oil return cycle.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    According to the Aprilaire brochure the 213 has a SP or .22 so how dirty is this filter. IF the drop is over .33 it needs to be changed.

I think I would move the filter cabinet away from the unit by at least 6" for starters.

The 1.4" where was that measured, before the blower, before the coil, after the coil, after the elements?

Post Likes
    One more thought. I don't know where you are located but you mentioned the house felt colder which would make one assume a colder climate which brings to mind humidifiers.

Beware of cool mist humidifiers they can plug a filter in a very short time. They atomize the water which then evaporates leaving power fine duct which will plug a filter in as little at 4 days for a 1" pleat. The dust reminds you of sheetrock dust and the filter does not look dirty at all.

Post Likes
    Sorry for the confusion, I don't know proper terminology...

My unit has a display on it that shows what it calculates for TESP. That's what I'm calling "cabinet" pressure.

My initial thoughts were the unit TESP reading has a bad sensor causing an incorrect reading which in turn told the motor to speed up to compensate, but the physical gauges don't show high pressure. Standing next to the unit I believe the 1.4 as the unit has air screaming out of every crack/crevice. As soon as the air filter is removed it matches the physical gauges installed in the system.

The filter is brand new.

Name:  AC.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  84.2 KB

Post Likes
    From what I’ve been told by my Trane rep. That static pressure reading on the unit is an estimated reading. The carrier infinity has the same thing.

From what your describing when you take the filter out the motor ramps down sounds like, from here, there’s a filter/return restriction.
    When you take the filter out and it “levels out” is that with the filter door off?
    How many returns in your house do you have and what size?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    From what I’ve been told by my Trane rep. That static pressure reading on the unit is an estimated reading. The carrier infinity has the same thing.

From what your describing when you take the filter out the motor ramps down sounds like, from here, there’s a filter/return restriction.
    When you take the filter out and it “levels out” is that with the filter door off?
    How many returns in your house do you have and what size?
    I agree it appears that way. My understanding is it's a calculated value as well. I don't know what variables are used to achieve it. Whatever they are, the air filter is affecting it in some way. I just don't know what...

The door is on, no filter installed when the system lines out. Two 18" returns.

The puzzling part is why the actual gauges don't reflect the 1.4" even though the blower is ramped up with air whistling out of the housing. Initial indications made us think the coil (outlet) had a restriction. That's not the case. The gauges are located just as the drawing, one in the cabinet the other immediately on the outlet. We even doubted the gauges and tested with a whole new set with the same results. Just dumb luck we discovered removing the air filter made the system line out...

Post Likes
    Someone said that the SP for the MERV 13 (213) filter was .22" at 2000 cfm when in reality that is for the MERV 10 (210) filter. The MERV 13 (213) filter is .35" at 2000 cfm. If this IS your problem 2 aprilaire filters can be installed and cut the TESP way down, in theory it could go down to .12" and this is with the MERV 13 (213).

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/relate...et%2003.10.pdf

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast