Thread: Boiler Cycling

Post Likes

Boiler Cycling

When I turn my thermostat up I hear the circulator pumps turn on but the boiler doesn't always turn on right away. When this happens the boiler usually runs just a short time then shuts off kind of like a short cycle. Is this normal?
    Thanks MATT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2315 View Post
    When I turn my thermostat up I hear the circulator pumps turn on but the boiler doesn't always turn on right away. When this happens the boiler usually runs just a short time then shuts off kind of like a short cycle. Is this normal?
    Thanks MATT
    What's the boiler water temperature in and out?

Zone valves or individual circulators?

Post Likes
    Thanks MATT
    Boiler temp runs around 200 Deg, I'm not sure what the temp in and out is and there is two zones with Circulator pumps

Post Likes
    Boiler temp runs around 200 Deg, I'm not sure what the temp in and out is and there is two zones with Circulator pumps

Post Likes
    WHY 200F?

You need temperature readings in and out. Is the boiler cycling on temperature or a safety switch?
    When was the last time this was serviced?

Consider getting it serviced and lowering the water temperature. 180F should be max. Consider having the service provider install a Tekmar outdoor reset on that boiler!

Post Likes
    Seems like it is cycling from temperature, Just had it serviced 1 month ago. Ill turn it down to 180 and see if that helps

Post Likes
    Just check the temp again, It was set at 180. Should the boiler cycle ON from water temperature or when the T Stat calls for heat?

Post Likes
    Have to be there but its probably temperature.

Post Likes
    Depends on your aquastat.
    Basically, and leaving out the differential setting:
    -The circulator runs when there is a call for heat as long as the temperature sensed at the aquastat is above the low limit setting, if equipped. Otherwise it runs anytime there is a call for heat..
    -At the same time there is a call for heat, if the temperature sensed at the aquastat is below the high limit setting, the burner fires until the call for heat is satisfied or the sensed temperature reaches the high limit setting.
    Notice I said 'sensed temperature'. If your aquastat isn't properly sensing temperature, all bets are off. Which is why you should have that checked out and confirmed.
    If you go with outdoor reset, make sure you have boiler protection from low temperature return water, or you'll kill your boiler.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Thank you for the advise