Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    If your going to do that you may as well make it metal all the way to the furnace.
    A box to flex to box will make a lot of turbulence and noise.
    Yeah I wondered if that was possible - but since the furnace "hangs" from the rafters it has a bit of movement to it, and when HVAC guys go up there they tend to pull on it and it moves maybe like an inch. Would that be a problem for a solid metal connection? Would that be a decent solution to the problem in your opinion, or is there a better way?

Wait, something else I just noticed.
    It appears they used uncased evaporator coils. Did they take the supply flex off the coil case?
    Sorry I don't know what this means, but I think it looks basically the same as the old units did up there and there is definitely no duct work hanging around loose somewhere. I took a picture of the tag on the evaporator coil box though if that helps (I cropped out the serial number because I dunno, it's the internet):

Name:  hvaccoils.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  189.8 KB

Post Likes
    Here is another probably stupid thought I had, is there any reason not to just build one giant custom duct around both furnace supplies so that everything is essentially connected, insulated inside for noise/temperature, and connected over to both ceiling filter grills? So if only one was running it would have the benefit of sucking air through twice the space, and if both were on at the same time it would still be fine?

Seems like this might cause a problem that affects the non-running unit though.

Name:  hvacsketch2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  269.3 KB

Post Likes
    Yeah cant do that, the units cant share returns

Post Likes
    https://www.adpnow.com/wp-content/up...PL-07-1019.pdf

This is your cased coil, comes with a cooling only TXV.

10 years warranty on that coil once registered.

If you want to know what your SEER and EER of your system is and see if it’s a matched system supply the model number of the OD unit as AHRI web-site says it could be anywhere from 14-17.

Post Likes
    have the installers measure the static pressure on the systems and go from there. possibly just add another ra duct to existing filter grilles. is this a single story?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post

If you want to know what your SEER and EER of your system is and see if it’s a matched system supply the model number of the OD unit as AHRI web-site says it could be anywhere from 14-17.
    Joey, can you put a second set of eyes on that picture of the evaporator? What I thought was an uncased coil, you’ve determined is cases, but it appears they took the flex right off the sides of the case?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa View Post
    have the installers measure the static pressure on the systems and go from there. possibly just add another ra duct to existing filter grilles. is this a single story?
    It's a two story house, one unit per floor. I plan to get at least a couple quotes, start by saying I think it needs more air and that the noise bothers me and see what they come up with to solve it. I am now very curious what the pressures are when running, I guess I always assumed it was fine since none of my service or install techs ever said anything.

Hopefully someone seems good and I can have them double check the rest of the install while they fix the ducts

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post

The outdoor units are 4A7A4060L1000AA. It's the Silver 14 5 ton unit, it should be matched correctly.

I looked it up, it's only 56k BTUs so I only have 9.33 tons of cooling I guess, not 10. Yay for small victories heh

Post Likes
    Those are cased coils where the case is ductboard. They are designed to not need a supply plenum. Do NOT flow air properly. Someone needs to measure system static pressure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    The outdoor units are 4A7A4060L1000AA. It's the Silver 14 5 ton unit, it should be matched correctly.

I looked it up, it's only 56k BTUs so I only have 9.33 tons of cooling I guess, not 10. Yay for small victories heh
    https://www.ahridirectory.org/Home/D...uJgjXYYZRUrXsa

AHRI number 202526101 says 14 SEER 12.20 EER 57,500 BTU on paper
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 12-01-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Post Likes
    Joey, can you put a second set of eyes on that picture of the evaporator? What I thought was an uncased coil, you’ve determined is cases, but it appears they took the flex right off the sides of the case?
    Looks like factory fiberboard on three sides, has tin foil mesh covering the fiberglass on both side, for a lack of a better description ( photo below where it says “Additional Features on ADP photos of the coil “ ) from looking at ADP web-site ( and comparing to photo sent ) guessing spin in collars? To hook up the flex duct? with a built in auxiliary drain pan. Never seen one like that myself.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 12-01-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    It seems like my best bet would be to have someone take off the 20x20 boxes on the furnace and replace them with something bigger that includes a proper 4" filter right on the furnace - then they could add a few returns from various places in the ceiling without additional filters being a problem. The only downside would be I have to go up to the attic to change the filter but that's not too bad if it solves my problem.

Does that seem like a good solution? What exactly should they be installing on the furnace to replace the 20x20 box (assuming this is a good solution)?

Sorry for the annoying questions, but Las Vegas is a funny town and contractors in general here are kind of ... bad, so I like to know what a good solution is before I get quotes. For example, we needed new refrigerant lines run as part of this install and of the 6 companies I called only 2 would even consider doing the job because of that.
    A single filter per system is not enough surface area. The velocity will be too high. It does not matter that the filter size matches the furnace, it needs a lower velocity to alleviate the noise. Systems over 3 tons need BIG DUCTS AND BIG FILTERS.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Had my first company come out today to look at it, they did not want to measure static pressure even when I pushed them to do it - they said they would do it after any work was done (maybe they just didn't want to do it for free as part of a quote? I dunno).

They said the supply now isn't that far off of what it should be, and that just adding another 10 or 12" round flex duct should be enough. They suggested cutting another hole out of the existing return to add an additional 12" duct into the top of each box.

They think that replacing the ceiling box/flex duct with some custom made duct work would help with airflow, but maybe not with noise. I had to really push them on that too - they said that residential houses just use flex duct and hard ductwork is really just for commercial locations. I said I cared about noise, but I also want to make sure the units have plenty of supply and I was willing to pay for it.

They described using the existing 20x20 box that's already installed on the furnace, and just replacing the flex part of the ductwork that exists now. I did verify that the ceiling hole would be completely open (and not just a 20x20 square), so their design would start with a 50x20 opening in the ceiling and kind of slowly radius into the 20x20 box that is already installed. I was a little concerned that they didn't think replacing the 20x20 box was worth doing, but they said it was find since the furnace can't use more than that anyway.

How does all that sound? Would it make the air supply better and also help with noise? I have a couple more companies scheduled for the next two days, this is just the first opinion so far.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast