Post Likes

Those of you who canít afford health insurance

Before oboma screwed things up health insurance for my wife,daughter and myself was affordable (Was able to have 3 seperate policies)

Prices went up every year to the point it was cheaper to have 2 policies, 1 for myself and 1 for daughter and wife ( wifeís employer does not offer insurance)

Last year premiums for wife/daughter policy went up to $12,000 year
    More than my mortgage payment
    No way in hell I was gonna pay that

Pondering the idea of short term health insurance for them. Has anyone ever had/used a short term health insurance policy?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by licensed to chill View Post
    Before oboma screwed things up health insurance for my wife,daughter and myself was affordable (Was able to have 3 seperate policies)

Prices went up every year to the point it was cheaper to have 2 policies, 1 for myself and 1 for daughter and wife ( wifeís employer does not offer insurance)

Last year premiums for wife/daughter policy went up to $12,000 year
    More than my mortgage payment
    No way in hell I was gonna pay that

Pondering the idea of short term health insurance for them. Has anyone ever had/used a short term health insurance policy?
    Define short term insurance.

There are catastrophic policies and they don't qualify to keep you from getting penalized by the government, so be careful.

Now, I know of people who use them and it's cheaper to pay the penalty.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    We , my family, use a HSA health savings account .

You save money (nontaxable) in the special account and pay doctor directly.

Not ideal for bad injuries/large Bill's, but has worked for us.

Lots self employed guys around here use it.

We also have the benefit of a really good private hospital that gives drastically reduced rates to people who pay out of pocket

Post Likes
    Before the days of Obamacare I used WPS insurance to cover some gaps when I was between insurance policies with new employers.

http://wpshealthsolutions.com/

They were reasonably priced in 2007. Of course, there's been a lot of legal changes between then and now so who knows where they're at.

Good hunting and good luck!

Post Likes
    Read this carefully, it may apply to you, if so, you have 15 days to enroll. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...dits-2014.html

I had a short term plan last year, it (they) won't cover pre existing conditions, prescriptions, out of network, pregnancy, mental health, and other stuff. They certainly are not great policies. I'm still fighting a claim the Co. won't pay it's contract share of. I hired a local agent that is actually saving me money, and handles the claims too w a better policy that is an HSA, but higher cost still because is under ACA.
    Everyone has different situations and diff states have diff rules. Insurance Co's are the ones making this complicated. You just about need an insurance lawyer to decipher and compare policies, figure the best one for you family and make sure they uphold their end. Then you have hospitals and doctors charging astronomical fees. It's one expensive nightmare alright.
    No fines this year (2019) for not having insurance, a little good news.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by contactor View Post
    Read this carefully, it may apply to you, if so, you have 15 days to enroll. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...dits-2014.html

I had a short term plan last year, it (they) won't cover pre existing conditions, prescriptions, out of network, pregnancy, mental health, and other stuff. They certainly are not great policies. I'm still fighting a claim the Co. won't pay it's contract share of. I hired a local agent that is actually saving me money, and handles the claims too w a better policy that is an HSA, but higher cost still because is under ACA.
    Everyone has different situations and diff states have diff rules. Insurance Co's are the ones making this complicated. You just about need an insurance lawyer to decipher and compare policies, figure the best one for you family and make sure they uphold their end. Then you have hospitals and doctors charging astronomical fees. It's one expensive nightmare alright.
    No fines this year (2019) for not having insurance, a little good news.
    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN