Post Likes

Question Is fan operated Aprilaire 700 better than pass through 600?

I'm looking at both the Aprilaire 700 fan operated and Aprilaire 600 pass through furnace humidifiers. The 700 is speced for 18 gallons water a day, while the 600 is for 17 gallons. So the 700 sounds better, of course.

But the difference is not very much. And the 700 is more expensive, and has a fan for added complexity.

This very old (1868) drafty house sure needs as much help as it can get. Any experience with either or both, and whether the fan operated 700 is really better than the pass through 600?

Post Likes
    It’s going to be hard to overcome that Old drafty house. Better to seal up the air leakage and hold the heat in and you will find it easier to manage the humidity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yeah, what chrisevansac said.

But also yes, I think a fan powered one is worth it just to get rid of the bypass duct, which is wasteful and stupid and usually requires the need to move a manual damper to go from heating mode to cooling mode, which most people forget about and dont do.

The bypass causes a portion of the conditioned air to be sent right back into the furnace again, which can cause overheating issues with the furnace under some circumstances.

That's why I like the fan powered kind better.

Post Likes
    Thanks. The only place this can go is a duct that is close to the ceiling, right under the dining room. What do you think of the noise level?

Post Likes
    The 700 works best when its mounted on the supply plenum. The 600 works the same whether its mounted on he supply or return.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    keep in mind they are rated based on 130 degree air passing over the pad, if not, the output drops greatly.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated