Post Likes

Question Fan operated furnace humidifier in basement with natural gas hot water heater?

Hi, are there issues installing a fan operated furnace humidifier in a basement that includes a natural gas water heater? I am wondering about it reducing pressure in the basement, and drawing the venting from the hot water heater now going outside instead into the basement.

I am considering what seems a pretty good fan operated furnace humidifier, the Honeywell HE360A1075. There are no such restrictions in the documentation. Still, am wondering.

Any pointers or wisdom?

Thanks,
    Bill

Post Likes
    Wait a minute. Perhaps I am wrong. The manual says: "The warm dry air, from the furnace, passes over the humidifier pad and picks up the moist air to circulate it throughout your home."

And yet it is fully self-contained. My current (ineffective) bypass humidifier is installed on the cold side, and has tubing that takes air from the hot side and passes it back over the pad. This Honeywell has no such tubing.

So I guess it is somehow fully self-contained, and both draws hot air and pushes it back out completely from within the unit itself. Quite the trick that. Does this make sense?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa62 View Post
    Wait a minute. Perhaps I am wrong. The manual says: "The warm dry air, from the furnace, passes over the humidifier pad and picks up the moist air to circulate it throughout your home."

And yet it is fully self-contained. My current (ineffective) bypass humidifier is installed on the cold side, and has tubing that takes air from the hot side and passes it back over the pad. This Honeywell has no such tubing.

So I guess it is somehow fully self-contained, and both draws hot air and pushes it back out completely from within the unit itself. Quite the trick that. Does this make sense?
    Yes, that is correct. It sucks air in from the duct that it's mounted to, humidifies it, and then blows it back into that same duct.

Post Likes
    Thanks. My house was built 1868, lots of hardwood floors, ~2500 sq ft, very dry. I am replacing an Aprilaire 600, bypass type. Is it reasonable to believe this Honeywell HE360A1075 with a built-in fan will do a significantly better job?

Post Likes
    Significantly ?
    How tight is the house?
    How was the Heat sized?

Post Likes
    The hum is taking air from the supply plenum and returning it there. No furnace room air is being sucked in.