Post Likes

Fresh Air Damper tied directly into zone 1 C wire

So the origins of this discovery is baked into me trying to install a nest thermostat, so I'm going to try to stay away from any rule breaking questions here. I have that question directed at the nest community support, since the official support chat was not helpful.For some background, this house was a new construction build in 2018 in North Texas.

While I was trying to figure out what to do with the U1 wire in the HoneyWell Wifi ProSeries 8000, I discovered that one of the wires for a fresh air intake damper is plugged into the Zone 1 C-terminal in the HZ322 control board (along with the actual C wire). The other is plugged into a wire nut, which then is fed into the U1 terminal on the thermostat. I'm confused by this because from my research, I thought that the fresh air intake was only meant to be pulling in air a small percentage of the time by connecting it to an additional ventiliation control board, but it looks like this configuration will pull in fresh air anytime the fan is blowing. (which i could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me)

My question is, is this normal? I've noticed the filter gets clogged remarkably fast, which makes sense.

I have some photos for reference, but I don't want to break any rules so I guess i'll leave them out, but hopefully the description is adequate.

Thank you so much, I hope this is an easy answer for you pros out there

Post Likes
    Make it simple, don't install the NEST!!! It's only going to cause headache down the road.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Keep the Vision Pro, lots more functional & reliable than the Nest. If you want WiFi, get the gateway.

Post Likes
    So it turns out that the nest is simply incompatible with a fresh air damper ventilation system, and my current system is wired correctly. It turns out the visionpro was controlling the ventilation after all, but had to dig deep into the settings to find the options. Problem solved, this thread can be closed, Nest is worthless for anything other than vanilla hvac systems

Post Likes
    Nest is not even good for vanilla hvac systems unless you want to chuck parts at that system in the short or long term or both. Nest is garbage.