Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buying tools

Post Likes
    I like to have my own tools for several reasons. First off my tool bag is a mad mashed mix of brands, styles and home made tools that I have honed over the years to exactly what I like. Second, if I break, loose, abuse, or modify my tools that's on me and I don't owe anyone an explanation. Third, Im a tool addict, and I need to feed my addiction, I doubt any co out there would let me get three different kinds of wire strippers just to try them out. Company has to pay for consumables, but the tools those consumables go in are mine, and you better keep your dirty fingers off them! lol
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

2. Likes Achso017 liked this post
    Post Likes
    As for being able to pay for the tools, it takes a long time to build up. I still have a fair amount of "cheap" tools that have stood the test of time, but I have upgraded things a lot over the years. You will be surprised how fast it adds up, one day you will be sitting there and realize that you should probably get a tool rider added to your home or renters insurance because you own more in tools that your personal vehicles are worth...
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    problem with company tools they are never taken care of.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by manski99 View Post
    This isn’t necessarily true. The company I work for provides all tools. The commercial plumbers and sheet metal guys tend to be pretty hard on tools. Service guys tend to take care of their tools. Even though I don’t need to pay to replace them, I still need my tools to work when I need them, so I take good care of them.

6. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly32 View Post
    How do you guys afford all these high end tools. My employer only gives me $150 a year for tools. The rest I have to pay for but it adds up. Are there companies out there that pay for tools.
    I probably spend $150 a year just replacing, misplaced 5/16 nut drivers, screwdrivers, crimpers, etc, basic hand tools.

I haven't always had a lot of tools and couldn't always afford to spend what I've spent the past few years. But, I've accumulated tools over the years so I can do what I need to do on a service call...we all want to be looked upon as being professional in both appearance and performance. Some of the glitzier stuff makes you look good and might earn the attaboy but the absence of a fan blade puller could lead to an awsh!t...

Just decide what you absolutely need to get through a service call and buy the most affordable option available. At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is performance...

8. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by manski99 View Post
    I don’t know what you are talking about. Our company crescent wrench hammer is a solid performer and our masonry chisel screwdriver works every time. The reclaim unit stool it great for when you need to reach just one foot higher and the extension cord rope lowers tools off the roof flawlessly every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

10. Likes Achso017, BALloyd liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234