Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Chiller Training

Is the Chiller overhaul and tear down training that those of you working for OEM’s at a higher level than what a non OEM company would receive. I am looking for 19xr training. A few of my co worker's have gone to Syracuse and said they worked on a 19d chiller and not a 19xl or xr
    A few of us went to lacrosse a few years and found it to be sufficient for our needs as we took apart a chiller we have in our area.
    Should I go to Syracuse on my own dime, I am specifically looking for
    Training on 19xr machines and my company will not send me due to not actually working a 19xr machine in the class , according to my co workers.My company does around 5 overhauls a year . Having to pay for my own tools and sometimes my own training I want to get the most bang for the buck.
    Question for you union shop guys. Are your training and tools covered. In Massachusetts and New England in general can you make over 42hr take home at a non union shop or do I go union. I have been with my company for 15 years but wanted to really get specialized in chillers.

Post Likes
    Entech in Texas will be the best bang for your buck.
    I would recommend union, in my area union guys are the only ones working on centrifugals besides factory and half of them are union also.
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I wouldn't pay for that very expensive training, your employer should cover it. There are two ways to go somewhere in this trade 1-own your business, 2-work union.
    Chillers work is way over rated, overhauls are mostly bull work, the first one is fun then they become boring and repetitive.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

4. Likes manny238 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Here to tell it like it is. There is too much variance from Local to Local for Training. Straight-line Fitter Locals seem to have a better schedule for HVAC/R Training than combination Locals. There are some exceptions such as Seattle 32 and a couple of the Bay Area Locals.
    The Syracuse OEM teardown class is called Centrifugal Compressor Disassembly/Reassembly. It meets meets manufacturer certification. I imagine that working on the latest and greatest at the factory would be nice. I think the Dallas aftermarket Training is also on an older machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I've been to the Entech Carrier class and have sent guys to Carrier class which you have to take fundamental class before overhaul class when we sent the guys so that is two weeks of training.

If you want a certificate to show off to customers go to Carrier if you want to learn what to do go to Entech you teardown a 19D machine and 19X machine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. Likes manny238 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I thought I wanted to do industrial compressor work (huge recips, screws, etc.) until I got a taste of it. Like valdeloc said, it's over rated. Don't get me wrong it's very interesting, but it is grunt work. I enjoy rigging, and like that challenge, but I'd rather use my brain more....service, troubleshooting, etc.

If you're just interested in tear downs, focus on that, if you're more interested in service and repair, focus on that.

I'd be hard pressed to spend a few grand on training myself.

as far as wages, the UA has been very good for me and my family. but after all the deductions and taxes, I take home less than non union guys making the same hourly wage. granted the deductions include pensions, a savings account, healthcare, etc.....so some of that I will see later in life. plus you have the benefit of whatever classes and certs you want to get through the hall. the other side benefit is that if you leave one union company for another, the only thing that changes is the name on your shirt....benefits package, etc. stays the same.

Post Likes
    I would not recommend paying for your own training...not in this field, anyway. Maybe in a residential market or something, but not in the chiller field. As for wages, I took a pay cut to go to the union. Each non-union employer and local will be different so you will need to investigate that yourself.

if your employer is not looking to train you, it could be you or it could be your employer. Figure out which one has the problem and fix it.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Post Likes
    My employer doesn’t have a big training or tool budget. Guys have payed for there own training and tools to get ahead. It’s been my only employer for the past 10 years so I probably don’t know any better.
    Hopefully new year new job that provides training and tools. We have a few chiller accounts and I think that’s the way I want to go . Just don’t have the funds to pay for it. Buying all the high end tools would put me in debt .

Post Likes
    Our training is paid for and our time is also paid for while we are at that course. The union and employer pay for the training and wages.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Our training is paid for and our time is also paid for while we are at that course. The union and employer pay for the training and wages.

Let me guess, Canadian Service-Only Local.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post

Same here but we also get paid for meals and rental car while in training, my hall has individual training fund of $1500/year per member, this money can be use at the members discretion, its a use it or lose it kind of deal.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    All Locals should follow that lead.

Post Likes
    Early on in my career I actually paid for factory training that my employer was not interested in paying for. Class, hotel, transportation the whole shebang. I also often found a lot of training through RSES that was really good. Union companies later on paid for a tremendous amount of training over the years. They also covered a lot of field service training like starting up equipment with senior techs to get qualifications.
    Superheat, that must be REALLY hot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast