Post Likes

Auxiliary Heat Will Not Shut Off

I've got a Goodman heat pump unit with an added auxiliary heating coil that will not shut off. I've disconnected the thermostat and it continues running. The only way I can shut it down is by turning the breaker off. I am guessing a relay is stuck "on". Any ideas?

Goodman model ARPF182416AA

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    I've got a Goodman heat pump unit with an added auxiliary heating coil that will not shut off. I've disconnected the thermostat and it continues running. The only way I can shut it down is by turning the breaker off. I am guessing a relay is stuck "on". Any ideas?

No DIY here, so time to call in a professional.

Sounds like a simple fix, but you never know.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    New install, if so call the Installing Contractor as the usual labor warranty is one year. Out of a labor warranty call for service, they tell me this is not a DIY site.

If you registered your system initially you should have a 10/10 parts and compressor warranty. If your system never got registered then you have a 5/5 manufacturered warranty. If parts need to be replaced, you may or may not have to pay for it, depending on the parts warranty period.

Post Likes
    Unit was installed many years ago. I've shut the breakers off and removed the service panel and found a part called a "heat sequencer" that appears to control the heating element. Y'all think this is the likely culprit?

Post Likes
    Unit was installed many years ago. I've shut the breakers off and removed the service panel and found a part called a "heat sequencer" that appears to control the heating element. Y'all think this is the likely culprit?
    No

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    No
    What do you think it likely is then? I'm not an a/c guy so could use some help.

Post Likes
    I think you are correct in a kind of general-theory sense.

Does the indoor blower continue to run along with the auxiliary heating coil? Or is it just the heating coil which reminds on?

PHM
    --------

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Leave it alone and call a qualafied contractor!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I think you are correct in a kind of general-theory sense.

Does the indoor blower continue to run along with the auxiliary heating coil? Or is it just the heating coil which reminds on?

PHM
    --------
    Yes, both the blower and heating element run continuously. I also can set the a/c on and the condenser will turn on but the heating element will run as well.

Post Likes
    What does your service technician suggest to fix your problem?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    An A/C guy.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Sorry, this is not a DIY site.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?