Post Likes

Ventless or Vented gas logs

I need to hear from the experts here. My wife is adamant she wants a gas log fireplace. We do not have a chimney in our home, so I have to decide whether to go ventless or vented. Considerations are many, safety being number one. Cost is also a consideration. I would love to hear the pros and cons from those with experience on this subject. BTW, it will be propane as we do not have natural gas as an option in my area.

Post Likes
    Vented, never ventless
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Vented, never ventless
    X2.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Ventless has been outlawed in many areas for good reason.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    X3. In many areas (rightfully so) ventless are illegal, and aside from the potential CO issues and oxygen depletion, they release high amounts of moisture and smell bad. At the very least the flames do not look very real (like a vented gas log can depict a fireplace). If it fails, no one will or can work on it.
    A direct vent fireplace can be installed in lieu of having a chimney and you can get a large enough unit w a blower option that can efficiently heat most of the home if desired (or if your furnace fails). It's also an asset to your homes value, not a cheap appliance.
    If price is an issue, just go w one of the higher end top rated electric decorative fireplaces, at least they look real.

Post Likes
    Ventfree are tested in a lab to emit no more than 200ppm CO. That's not in a home with foot traffic, kids playing, and other forms of air movement that can cool the flames and cause flame impingement. That results in incomplete combustion which leads to CO, soot, aldehydes, and NOx production. You burn for 3 hrs you've produced a gallon of water vapor

You either love VF or hate it--no middle ground. '
    DV does not use room air, does not emit flue gases into the home and is very efficient.
    HTH

Post Likes
    I always thought ventless types were a bad idea.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. You guys have convinced me to go vented. The cons of ventless far out weigh the any reason for using one.

Post Likes
    What they said. And ventless range hoods too.