Post Likes

Dual energy furnace (Oil/Electricity) but only Oil seems to be working?

Hello HVAC-Talk,

I purchased a house in April of this year and recently started to use the dual-energy furnace to heat the house. What I've been noticing is that the furnace seems to be heating the house using only Oil. I can't really confirm this, however, when I set the furnace to use "electric only" as the heat source and heat the house for a couple of weeks I notice my oil lever dropping.

My dual-energy furnace can use "Electric only", "Oil only" and "Dual energy". Dual energy is as I understand it electric heating as the default but when the weather is under -12C then Oil is used - as per Hydro Quebec's website. FYI I'm enrolled in Hydro Quebec's Dual Energy heating program - I confirmed.

Here is the kicker, on my furnace, the black switch lever (seen in the attached screenshot below) which is used to select the 3 different furnace heat sources doesn't light up. What I mean by that is, when the I change the heat source the light indicators dont light up. In fact, the light source doesn't work at all. I've attached pictures for clarity.

That being said, the heating works great, I control the AC/heat using Google Thermostat (I understand it's not popular here). But I don't think I can continue heating the house using Oil only as it'll cost me a lot of money when tempreture is above -12C.

Thanks for the help everyone! Looking forward to learning prior to calling for maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Did you check your breakers?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Did you check your breakers?
    You mean on my main electrical panel? Not really, no. Since the furnace is working (as in, it's heating the house) I simply assumed the breakers were fine. I'll have to check now.

Are there any other breakers but the main electrical panel I should be checking?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by saren_p View Post
    You mean on my main electrical panel? Not really, no. Since the furnace is working (as in, it's heating the house) I simply assumed the breakers were fine. I'll have to check now.

Are there any other breakers but the main electrical panel I should be checking?
    Could be. That varies with he install.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Maintenance call may be wise to check it all out and to get more familiar with what you got and how to operate it, since it is all new to you.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020