Post Likes

Through wall HVAC wiring in junction box overheating

I have a GE Zoneline AZ39H15DABM1 unit that was purchased as a refurb unit. In January of this year, the unit stopped working. The electrician came out, and upon removing the cover to the junction box, a wire into a wire nut connector was brittle and pulled out easily, with various bits of hard insulation material falling off. He simply taped it up back to the white wire that it was connected to, but said there could also be a fault with the unit

So now the same thing happened - I wasn’t at home at the time, but my wife heard a loud pop, smelt something, and then another pop. Inspection inside the junction box shows the same taped connection as charred.

In both instances, the unit had been running on the heat mode for extended periods. No issues over the summer when using in cooling mode.

The question is: is this likely a unit fault, or something to do with the wiring?

Many thanks for your thoughts

Post Likes
    There's no way to tell without being on site and checking. Could be either or both. Did your electrician cut out the damaged section or just tape over it? Did he use a meter and measure current and verify the wiring was the correct size for the load?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. First off I called the guy who sold the unit. He checked the circuit breaker and said no issue there, then checked the unit. Not sure what precisely he checked with the multimeter but he said the wiring was an issue but as he is in semi retirement, wouldn’t repair it. The electrician didn’t do any diagnosis, but did cut back some of the wiring.

Post Likes
    It's more than likely a wiring issue. You need to get an electrician to look at it.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Benrave View Post
    ...was purchased as a refurb unit...
    Refurb'd by who, and how?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    What is a refurbished unit?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies

I’ll look to get a different electrician to take a more thorough look at both the unit and the installation then. If anyone happens to have some key questions to ask then they will be gladly received.

As for the refurb, it’s not clear how exactly it was refurbed not what was wrong with it prior to the refurb. The guy did it for a living, for what it’s worth!

Post Likes
    Normally when a wire connection burns up, it's at the point of the connection or section if wire that's burnt.

If the unit was overamping and your breaker didn't trip or a fuse didn't blow, it would affect all the wiring, not just one connection.

Sounds like it might be shorting at the connection, I've seen water burn up wire connections that didn't look bad otherwise, it shorted through the water to ground.

Post Likes
    I've seen plenty of wire splices fail in heat mode. the elec heat puts a lot of power through the wires, so if the connection is weak it will heat up each time and eventually fail.
    In such a case, I prefer split bolts over wire nuts, have almost never seen one of those fail.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Call an hvac contractor, an electrician wont know the first thing about a heatpump operation. It should say on the unit ID tag what the max breaker is and minimum amp draw, if the wiring to the unit is rated for that much and proper voltage is present an electricians job is done. Agree with Billygoat, wire nuts suck on high amp draw devices