5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diakin

3 60.00%
  • Trane

2 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Diakin versus Trane

Looking to buy a 2 stage 4 ton A/C and a 120,000 furnace. Looking between Diakin & Trane. Diakin's 12 year parts and labor looks to be too good to be true....

Post Likes
    Daiken 12 year labor warranty ( they also have a 6 year extended labor warranty ) is a extended labor warranty that you purchase, Trane has up to 10 years extended labor warranty ( believe it’s a 5 and 10 years extended labor ) Depending on model of the Daiken, your furnace and A/C unit may have a 6 or 12 year whole furnace and OD unit replacement if the HX or compressor fail in the 1st 6 or 12 years to the original registered owner.

Post the model numbers of both to compare standard features, and manufacturers warranty.

What does the load calculation say about what sizes you need, or are you replacing like size for like size.

Ask for matched AHRI systems, believe at least the Trane requires matched equipment in order to receive the maximum manufacturers warranty.

Ask for something like this to prove a match and to know what your SEER and EER will be on paper,

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Home/D...p82omiEFjIldvR

If you purchase high efficiency system, rebates may come into play.

One source: https://www.dsireusa.org/
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 11-26-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Post Likes
    I’d worry much more about the sizing then brand name. Do you really need 4 tons/120k of equipment?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Daikin is Goodman, Trane/Am Std.

I may be a bit biased, but I’ve had nothing but trouble with Goodman warranty. The part itself may be free exchange, but all of the supply houses in my area charge huge fees for the “warranty handing”. One even charges 1/2 the cost of the part for the warranty handling fee. Yes, even on big ticket parts like compressors.

Oh yeah, if you don’t have the perfect spelling of the “Registration” you might as well forget your warranty.

I have no prioblem with warranty Trane parts. No extra hidden fees or detailed homeowner information either. I guess the difference is, they know all of their equipment is sold through actual dealers, not the internet. You may find a Trane unit here or there on the internet, but Ingersoll Rand cracks down on dealers that try to sell equipment outright, and for good reason...
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Trane S9V2120 furnace with XR18048 - 2 stage 18 SEER AC
    Diakin DM96VC120 furnace with DX18TC048 2 stage 18 SEER AC
    I currently have a 120,000 furnace and a 4 ton A/C- square footage is around 3,400 2 estimates recommended going with a 100,000 furnace the rest staying with current system
    Trane 10 year parts warranty 1 year labor warranty
    Diakin• 12 year parts warranty 12 year labor

Post Likes
    The fact that 2 contractors recommend going down in size speaks volumes.

Bottom line without a proper Manual "J" there all guessing. Once you know exactly what size you need then the ducts need to be measures, Manual "D"!

Post Likes
    Maybe it’s me, but I did not see the Trane as a XR18 series, on their web-site it shows a XR17 that can reach “up to” 18 SEER depending on ID coil selection to furnace selection. Looks to come with the standard 10/10 compressor and parts warranty once registered. It does not say a ECM outdoor motor but a upgraded motor, or something like that.

The Furnace on the Trane model you referenced says limited lifetime HX warranty once registered to the original owner and a 10 years parts. Has a variable speed motor. Both the Trane and Daiken has a Stainless Steel primary and secondary HX.

The Daiken OD unit comes with a 12 year parts, and can reach “up to” 19 SEER when matched to a particular indoor selection, and a limited lifetime compressor warranty. If the compressor ever fails within the 1st 12 years, you get a complete new OD unit to the original registered owner. Says it has a 2 speed ECM OD fan motor and is a communicating system, reason for the “C” in the model numbers of the furnace and OD unit. Has a Copeland Core Sense compressor protection also.

The Furnace on the Daiken has a similar warranty once registered to the original owner, a limited lifetime HX warranty, 12 years parts, and if the HX ever fails in the 1st 12 years of ownership you get a new furnace.

Do not know how the extended labor warranty works, need to read the fine print or ask the bidding Contractor, may need mandatory yearly PM checks and keeping the invoices.

Very important to have matching AHRI systems on both units, as at least Trane ( that I’m aware of ) requires it for manufacturers maximum warranty purposes, also with the extended labor warranty with the Daiken, probably needs to be the same. Need a AHRI number for rebates.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 11-27-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Post Likes
    Bazooka Joey sorry, It is the XL18i, that bid put down the incorrect model # which I cut and pasted...

Post Likes
    Trane web-site says the XL series has a 12 year compressor warranty, ( page 5 the information is dated 2017 but the Trane web-site is dated 2019 ) Looks to have a 10 year parts and coil warranty. Looks to have the standard OD motor, with enhanced fan blade?

The warranty for the Trane XL18i air conditioner is comprised of the following: 12-year limited warranty on the compressor. 10-year limited warranty on the outdoor coil. 10-year limited warranty on internal functioning parts.Oct 23, 2019

https://www.trane.com/residential/en...-conditioners/

“Product Brochure” says can reach “up to” 18 SEER, so you can’t go by what the OD unit alone says, it’s a team effort, with the furnace and ID coil which determines the system SEER, so what coil model number are they using on the Trane and Daiken, as that may affect your manufacturers warranty and even your extended labor warranty if they are not a matched system.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 11-27-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Post Likes
    I'm a big fan of both Trane/Am Standard, and Daikin, but as has been said already Daikin bought out goodman a few years back and most residential central air units they sell are goodman designs and manufacturing. I'm less impressed with goodman, but honestly it really just comes down to wether it was sized correctly and installed well.

The bottom shelf system from the cheapest brand will out last and out preform the most top of the line system from the best if the former was sized/installed right and the latter was not.

Spend your energy(on this forum and elsewhere) learning how to identify a quality contractor, then you can trust them to do the manual J and D calculations to size/design and install your system correctly. What brand they currently use is IMHO inconsequential.
    -"There always seems to be enough money to do it right the second time"

Post Likes
    I don't like the screwy return on the S9. Small opening so you need some way of transitioning all the return into that area. If over 3 tons, our tech rep says get bottom return too. Nice furnace but a pain to install and too many hack a media cleaner on the side of the furnace leaving a good chunk of the cleaner against furnace cabinet.

It has got us selling a lot more Rheem these days.

Extended family needed new and got a great price from a recommended Daikin dealer I found them in another state. Went with 2 stg variable speed high end with Fit outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    Do a free manual J at www.Loadcalc.net and find out how much heating/cooling you actually need, then have your static pressure measured in heating and compare that to the blower performance chart to see how much air your capable of moving. I like Trane but we almost never sold the XL18, as the XR17 is the same two stage compressor but cheaper to buy and generally repair. If people wanted beyond 17 SEER then they would purchase the XV18 with the variable speed compressor

Post Likes
    Any additional thoughts regarding Daikin versus Trane?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast