Post Likes

Leaking AC / Leaking Heater now

My AC unit was leaking water and it started to come through the bottom of the wall. It wasn't bad or nothing like that it was like 1 foot of wall (2 foot pool of somewhat water - wet at least under the carpet) and it did cause some slight damage. I decided I was going to just turn it off and then fix it the next spring since I thought only the AC unit leaked water. It's my HVAC.

It stopped for like a month or so. It dried up and I thought I was done for the time being. It wasn't that wet to begin with, but you could tell when I did have the problem the carpet was damp.

Now that it's winter time I'm starting to use the heater (not water heater) and I'm getting some water leaking, but it's nothing like the AC unit. It's damp for like a foot of area and the bottom wall is slightly wet and it's coming through. Like 25% of what it was before or so at most and even the original problem wasn't that bad, but I want to get this fixed.

-----

Anyone know what I'm looking at here exactly for a repair here (what do I even tell an HVAC type - this is a home I bought a year ago and my first home for that matter)? What could be causing it and a general price (if possible) of what it might cost me to fix some leak behind a wall if there's a general cost for this since no one can see it. If not a general price (just so I can kind of now beforehand so I know what to pay for the most part. mostly that it won't be over $ or a $ to fix (hopefully)) what could it be at that point?

-----

I don't have a water heater and I have one of those new water type deals. Get that out of the way, but I don't have a water heater and it's not even on the same side of the room (the custom water heating unit - not sure what the new ones are called).

Post Likes
    Without being there, can't guess at leak cause.

We don't talk prices here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    You need to have the wet area exposed and the source of the water found.

Water damage is covered by homeowners insurance!

Post Likes
    It would be helpful to know what kind of heating equipment you have, but I'll venture a guess based on your description. Going to roll the dice a guess you have a 90+% efficient gas heater. These will produce condensate when running and are often plumbed into the same drain line the a/c condensate drains thru. My guess would be that you may have a crack in the drain line allowing the condensate to show up in the exact same spot as when it was doing this during a/c operation. That is a free WAG from the internet, so call an hvac contractor that comes recommended by friends, family, employers. Online reviews are for suckers, and tell them you have a water leak in the house when cooling or heating runs. We dont discuss pricing here because it's to regional and there are many different business models used( flatrate, time and material, etc ). If you end up getting a "Salestech" who condemns your heat exchanger, make them take a picture of the crack and prove it! I do this for every bad heat exchanger, it's generally not very hard and pixels are free

Post Likes
    Thanks, I figured it was worth asking to see what I could try to find out beforehand or figure out. I didn't expect much from this post just wanted to ask and see for the most part since this is my first home and basically the first year in my first home. Helps out a bit to know, but can't expect much on the internet anyways without pictures and such.

2nd opinion more or so before I get the first opinion.

Post Likes
    Do you have homeowners insurance?

Post Likes
    Not being onsite I have no idea how difficult it will be to fix, if the drywall has been damaged, cut a square of it out that has been damaged so it doesnt start to sprout, you maybe able to see the problem yourself at that point. Having a good hvac contractor is like having a good mechanic, everyone needs one. Find yourself a knowledgeable contractor that is not a salesman and keep their number, they are hard to find