Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2000 sqft shop A/C advice - mini split?

Post Likes
    The flammable materials part would concern me
    The solvent I use is similar to Safety Kleen. It is in a dedicated parts washing cabinet with a cover that has a fusible link. Spray paints and whatnot are stored in a flam cabinet.

The majority of my work in the shop is "wrenching" and not focused on flammable materials.

Code does require the furnace to be elevated from floor.

Post Likes
    Hello fellow Tucsonian, I’ve built and conditioned over 20 garage-mahal types all over the area. A mini split will not make you happy or comfortable. Ducted unitary systems are much better. I have had the best results with 2 stage or inverter systems for shops. The problems are exaggerated in a shop, opening a door in the summer would overwhelm a mini. My current garage is ~2000 sq. foot, with a 2 stage, 3 ton, dual compressor Trane system with exposed spiral duct. In the summer it’ll hum along on first stage 1-1/2 ton compressor (think 4 barrel carb). Pull a car in and the radiant heat is crazy how hot it’ll feel, even though the air temp hasn’t changed. I do paint and bodywork on stuff and frequently spray in the same shop. I have 3- 24x24x12” deep pocket filters that last a few years with pre-filters. Garage doors don’t seal very well and leak quite a bit.
    I’d recommend reconsidering those skylights, in southern Arizona. They’re basically west facing windows all day. We could power 67 incandescent bulbs with the same energy we use from the heat gained in a standard skylight. The amount of “free” light we get from skylights isn’t worth it at all. Upgrading to double or triple pane is a must if skylights are a requirement. I’ll dig up some pics of some garages from the past, and post them here.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes

These are in a 5000 sq. foot, the duct systems were mirrored on each half with 2 4 ton 2 stage gas packs. This one was for one of the most fastidious individuals, and is the second or third garage-mahal we did for him. I think this one was ~2010.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bugman-74 View Post
    I like this concept.

Spiral ducting is exposed, correct?

Why returns high and low? I'd suspect the low returns to be extremely susceptible to debris
    LOW RETURN with a proper Filter grille set-up
    would Not have more than normal issues
    with the duct interior.

___
    RE: Post # 7

SPRAY PAINT / Welding ROOM with PROPER VENTILATION
    should be pursued.

REF: INDUSTRIAL VENTILATION by ACGIH
    https://www.acgih.org/forms/store/Pr...uctNumber=2097
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in