Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Sales commission

Why don't I get a commission on any of my sales, Yeah I'm a service tech but I sell tens of thousands of dollars in sales every year.

Post Likes
    Thinking about your question. Does your boss ask or require you to sell or do you just do it on your own?
    Do your sales result in work for you?
    If sales are required I would think there should be a commission.
    If not required but sales result in work it's a coin toss. Maybe a sit down with the boss would be beneficial. Explaining how not making sales could be a loss of work but be positive. If years have passed and you've been silent about this, change is harder.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    There is no shortage of companies that will do that. What counts is your year to date pay and are you satisfied with it.

If you are making 90K with incentives or 90K without incentives I would take 90K without incentives.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Our company wont do that because it incentivizes dishonest work and can lead techs to replacing components that are not required to be replaced or padding a repair with additional components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    Why don't I get a commission on any of my sales.
    Because we don't like you.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Should be easy to focus on the customer then, and not worry about selling anything.
    Put yourself in the customers shoes. Fix their equipment, make them happy, make their home comfortable. That way they will call you back when it breaks again.
    Sales techs are terrible for the industry.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    There is no shortage of companies that will do that. What counts is your year to date pay and are you satisfied with it.

If you are making 90K with incentives or 90K without incentives I would take 90K without incentives.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Our company won’t do that because it incentivizes dishonest work and can lead techs to replacing components that are not required to be replaced or padding a repair with additional components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Is this the same full time job your were describing a while back that offered no benefits and your helpers didn’t speak English?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Reminds me of earlier today. Customer I haven't been on site or spoken with for several months calls me. Says he didn't have confidence in the last tech on site to do the PM, and he had a problem that tech either couldn't or wouldn't look into.

So I call the office. Come to find out the 'last' tech there was still on site. D'oh!

I tell him what him to check. He says he'll have to call the office. I say just do it. He says no. Now keep in mind this is a server room, a critical unit/system.

I call the office back to tell them I can easily pull off of what I'm on.

Jeez.

Anyway, I show up, and the customer is so happy. He says: You know the system. Glad you are here. I find a tripped smoke alarm and belt so worn, that's probably what created particulate in the air to trip Mr Smokey.

For what it's worth, we do have a contract to PM the mechanical cooling, but not the stuff that tripped this alarm.

Anyway, the point here is that I have a rep with that customer, and he called me before the office. That's what you call job security.

Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Should be easy to focus on the customer then, and not worry about selling anything.
    Put yourself in the customers shoes. Fix their equipment, make them happy, make their home comfortable. That way they will call you back when it breaks again.
    Sales techs are terrible for the industry.

11. Likes shavedneon liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yes it is the same job, with the Mexicans still there too, and no they can't speak English.

Post Likes
    I go to a p.m find an 8 year old 90+ furnace rusted out due to a installation error, tell the customer he should replace it and should consider a new ac since we already there. He says how much I tell him the price he says yes, I order the equipment help install it,start it up, explain thermostat. Boss picks up a check for approximately half what my 115 year old house is worth. WTF, I have mentioned the word commission before, his response "we don't do that, it's bad for business" I feel like I'm the judge, jury and hangman all in one, without the perks that should go along with this highly stressful position. He says "we're doing good" or "keep condemning " or "this week we might turn $100,000" what about me I can barely make ends meet with 2 small children and a wife, for now anyway. How can I get mr. Narcissist to notice me.

Post Likes
    One of the best ways to get noticed is to notice yourself.
    I wonder if your boss would notice you if you were his competition?

I do agree with those that have said tech/sales can be dishonest but don't have to be. I wonder if they clock out when presenting their schpeel ?
    I do know of dishonest techs concerning parts sold and the Ol'Comish. .

Plan your life carefully as you'll have to live with it.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast