Post Likes

Need to replace electric water heater (SuperStor Contender SSC-50) - need advice ...

Hello,

I need to replace an old (16 years) and leaking SuperStor Contender (SSC-50) electric water heater. I would like to switch to a heat pump ("hybrid") Rheem unit, but I am trying to determine the effort required by an HVAC pro and electrician to make the switch.

The current system is the aforementioned SuperStor tank unit connected to a Taco SR504 switching relay to a Burnham V8 Series Oil-fired Boiler.

I know I need to have a 30 amp breaker and 208-240 Volt service, but will this work in my existing configuration connecting to the Taco switching relay?

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Post Likes
    Going from a "sidearm" off the boiler to a heat pump water heater will be an expensive shock as it will be really slow about making hot water. Going from pretty much endless hot water to a triage system of usage....

Might want to go to a Triangle tube side arm. Have had good luck with them.
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    What's the goal here? Use the tank as storage and charge it with the boiler in the winter, then use heat pump only in the summer?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the respopnses. I based my questions on bad info. My tank is an indirect, not electric. Given my current setup/situation, it makes little sense to look at a hybrid tank even with the rebate.

Thanks for the info/help.

Mike

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpbreen View Post
    Hello,

I need to replace an old (16 years) and leaking SuperStor Contender (SSC-50) electric water heater.

I would like to switch to a heat pump ("hybrid") Rheem unit,
    but I am trying to determine the effort required by an HVAC pro and electrician to make the switch.

The current system is the aforementioned SuperStor tank unit connected to a
    Taco SR504 switching relay to a Burnham V8 Series Oil-fired Boiler.

I know I need to have a 30 amp breaker and 208-240 Volt service,
    but will this work in my existing configuration connecting to the Taco switching relay?

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
    WITH MY Limited use of HOT WATER,
    IT MAY TAKE 60+ YEARS for any ROI.

DO YOU KNOW your existing use ?

Do you plan to ditch the boiler?

https://www.rheem.com/innovations/in...hybridsavings/

https://www.rheem.com/group/rheem-hy...-water-heater/
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities