Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Have you tried pumping down with the suction service valve?

Post Likes
    Just logically speaking, the box wouldn't be cooling and the suction side would be 0 if the solenoid was not working.

Sounds overcharged to me.

Post Likes
    I appreciate all of your replies. It was an indoor condenser unit with no headmaster, has a 2 hp 24k btu Tecumseh compressor. I went back today and started recovering refrigerant couple of pounds at a time until I had 4 degree of subcooling. This unit was insanely overcharged. After removing 14 pounds of refrigerant. I had 48 psi suction pressure with 12 degree superheat 205 psi high side pressure with 37 degree box and 75 degree ambient temperature. Even that sight glass was clear and Txv had perfect superheat some ice started forming on evap distributor tubes. Evaporator is clean, all fans are running correctly. Is this normal since evap coil is running below freezing point?

Post Likes
    Are you asking if ice on distributor tunes is normal? It is normal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    Are you asking if ice on distributor tunes is normal? It is normal.
    Yes sir. That was my question. I'm new to the refrigeration world excuse my ignorance. You really helped out a lot.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ptair View Post
    Yes sir. That was my question. I'm new to the refrigeration world excuse my ignorance. You really helped out a lot.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Post Likes
    ptair ,if you have a Tecumseh comp that is a 2hp,24k btu then you are talking AC not R.

Try "Commercial Refrigeration for AC Technicians" by Dick Wirz,for starters.
    Join RSES, for starters.

Post Likes
    I appreciate all of your replies. It was an indoor condenser unit with no headmaster, has a 2 hp 24k btu Tecumseh compressor. I went back today and started recovering refrigerant couple of pounds at a time until I had 4 degree of subcooling. This unit was insanely overcharged. After removing 14 pounds of refrigerant. I had 48 psi suction pressure with 12 degree superheat 205 psi high side pressure with 37 degree box and 75 degree ambient temperature. Even that sight glass was clear and Txv had perfect superheat some ice started forming on evap distributor tubes. Evaporator is clean, all fans are running correctly. Is this normal since evap coil is running below freezing point?
    Unfortunately you have no way of knowing what refrigerant(s) are in there. Consider recovering the entire charge, change the drier, evacuate and recharge with fresh R-22.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    ptair ,if you have a Tecumseh comp that is a 2hp,24k btu then you are talking AC not R.

Try "Commercial Refrigeration for AC Technicians" by Dick Wirz,for starters.
    Join RSES, for starters.
    12,000 BTU/H per horse is A/C
    8,000 BTU/H. per horse is.Refrigeration ( medium temp )
    4,000 BTU/H per horse is Refrigeration ( low temp )
    Just a rule of thumb

Post Likes
    ...It was an indoor condenser unit with no headmaster, has a 2 hp 24k btu Tecumseh compressor. I went back today and started recovering refrigerant couple of pounds at a time until I had 4 degree of subcooling. This unit was insanely overcharged. After removing 14 pounds of refrigerant. I had 48 psi suction pressure with 12 degree superheat 205 psi high side pressure with 37 degree box and 75 degree ambient temperature...
    I've followed up behind numerous others who obviously had little refrigeration experience and who had severely overcharged the system with results just as you describe.

On one such occasion, following up after a local A/C service contractor, I found the reason why, clearly written in Sharpie on the Larkin 5 hp R12 condensing unit:

"System has TXV. Must be charged to 13°F subcooling."

I recovered about 40 lbs from that one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post

Ohh boy that's a lot of R12 liquid gold today.
    So you never had to sell that customer R12 again or did it mysterious disappear never to be seen again ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I've followed up behind numerous others who obviously had little refrigeration experience and who had severely overcharged the system with results just as you describe.

On one such occasion, following up after a local A/C service contractor, I found the reason why, clearly written in Sharpie on the Larkin 5 hp R12 condensing unit:

"System has TXV. Must be charged to 13°F subcooling."

Those are the same techs that get the suction to 60#’s mo mater how much 22 it takes.

That unit doesn’t need a compressor.....It needs a liquid Pump!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That unit doesn’t need a compressor.....It needs a liquid Pump!
    When I was in school, we filled a short coupled system with something like 30 lbs of refrigerant. It was most definitely a liquid pump! Something other than a Scroll prolly would have detonated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12