Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Uh-oh... another residential refrigerator thread...

Well, this one is not a repair question...
    Rather asking for advise on a replacement fridge...

Currently, I have a GE side/side that dates back to the turn of the century... has a freon leak... just does not cool as it should and runs a lot! I have cleaned everything carefully... does not help.

I also have a 2nd fridge; an older top freezer, simple machine, without an ice-maker...
    Call it a beer fridge...

Anyhow, both are having a hard time maintaining refrigerator temps much below 40*F... freezer has a hard time staying at or below 10*F...

After doing lots of research online, as well as spending all afternoon at 3x big box stores... I am frustrated with what is available...
    And reading online reviews of current models is downright depressing...

SOOOOO...
    Have any of you purchased a replacement refrigerator recently...
    What brand did you decide was a good brand???
    What model did you get???
    Do you think it was a good purchase???
    What has been your experience with it???
    How is it holding up???

What I would like:
    For the kitchen: French door fridge (bottom freezer) in either black or black SS... ice/water on the door is optional (really do not care)... would be just fine with NO ice maker and cold water in the fridge section.
    For the beer fridge: a traditional top freezer style fridge... no ice-maker... would LOVE to find one with the cond coils on the back rather than the bottom, however understand that is not made anymore.

Anyhow, looking for thoughts and experiences and suggestions.

THX in advance

GA
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    don't like the bottom freezer, its impossible to keep organized and with the French door fridge both doors get opened every time someone uses it. and most seem to be wider than the standard side by side

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa View Post
    don't like the bottom freezer, its impossible to keep organized and with the French door fridge both doors get opened every time someone uses it. and most seem to be wider than the standard side by side
    Yeah... understand the pro's and con's of each design...

I have had side/sides for decades... sick of not enough room for something wide...
    AND
    I have a 2nd 'beer' fridge, so freezer space is not a premium...
    AND... most of the bottom freezer units I have seen... have multiple shelves to keep things in a shallow well.

On the double doors... I like the view...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!

Post Likes
    Just get the best parts and labor warranty available, even if paying extra . they are so complex now .

Post Likes
    Fix the ones you have, all the new stuff is garbage

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake79 View Post
    Fix the ones you have, all the new stuff is garbage

I agree the new stuff is garbage...

However the one I have, has many issues... and is getting to towards the point of wasting $$$ on it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I just bought a new Frigidaire (Electrolux) Mod FFTR2021TW2. Shopped for simple low cost unit, upper freezer w icemaker. Lowes had the best deals. 20.4 cu ft. $52 yr op.cost (430kw) lower forced air condenser. A little noisy but not bad. I walked right past the $2500 smartfridges
    Last edited by contactor; 11-24-2019 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add

Post Likes
    I like Whirlpool fridges. They seem very reliable in my opinion. GE isn't bad either but whirlpool seems to get you the best bang for your buck. I would look at Best buy website and go through clearance and then look for a open box or scratch and dent model at one of the BB around ATL. BTW, I can help maybe do a recharge on the old fridge and see if that helps. Cap tube maybe slightly plugged. Then again it can also be a weak compressor and it anit worth changing a compressor on a 20-25 yr fridge...

Post Likes

Post Likes
    For best reliability, stay away from any french door fridges with ice and water through the door. To get that, they locate the icemaker in the refrigerator compartment, which requires a system of ducts/fans/dampers to move freezing air up to the icemaker in the fresh food compartment. Something else to break.

Samsung, Whirlpool, and GE are probably your best options. Frigidaire/Electrolux have had serious issues with their french door icemaker, but if you don't care about that they're probably fine. I would avoid LG, they have had serious issues with failures of their Linear Compressor.

I'm not sure the picture for new fridges is as grim as some are painting it, I've had a Samsung french door since 2011 with no problems at all. Granted, I don't use the icemaker much. Keep in mind the new fridges tend to have more bells and whistles than the old ones, and often the failures are with those rather than the basic refrigeration system. People who leave reviews online are disproportionately likely to be the ones with problems. Most happy customers are not going to bother writing reviews.

Post Likes
    Agree with Blake79, I wished that I had my upright freezer repaired instead of buying a new one; but who's going to repair an appliance that's over 30 years old. For the same cubic feet, it couldn't hold as much as my old one. The shelves are not as deep. I bought the new one less than year ago and I already started looking for a replacement. Replace garbage with another piece of garbage doesn't seem appetizing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    I like Whirlpool fridges. They seem very reliable in my opinion. GE isn't bad either but whirlpool seems to get you the best bang for your buck. I would look at Best buy website and go through clearance and then look for a open box or scratch and dent model at one of the BB around ATL. BTW, I can help maybe do a recharge on the old fridge and see if that helps. Cap tube maybe slightly plugged. Then again it can also be a weak compressor and it anit worth changing a compressor on a 20-25 yr fridge...
    Wassup mofotech.

I got a top of the line whirlpool a few years ago. Thing works great. Never buy warrantees on stuff you can afford to replace...

Post Likes
    Update...

Spent a lot of time reviewing offerings and reviews online...
    Honestly I just have a bad feeling about the offerings and sorry reviews and horror stories...

SOOOO...

Went to looking at the old one... found the door was not closing just right... adjusted the hinge a little...
    Then got to looking at the door seal... it was dirty and drying out... cleaned it and soaked it down with WD40 (yeah, the miracle liquid... LOL)... anyhow...
    After re-aligning the door...
    And cleaning the gasket and soaking it down with WD40... it is closing and sealing better...
    And the fridge got back down to temp...
    YEAH!

So I am gonna ride it out for a bit... keep a bag of ice in the freezer size (ice maker died)...
    And wait for the next sale.

My gut says we are at a low in refrigerator quality...
    And new models will come out in the future that are higher quality.

Hope I can squeeze out some more life from my existing unit...
    Until some better quality units come along!

GA
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast