Post Likes

Zero micron furnace filter

I got called by the sweetest old lady. A regular customer of ours. Her house was cold, and she needed help. She stated that she could feel heat at the registers, but there was no air blowing out. My guy shows up to take a look, and it turns out the lady just changed her furnace filter the day before.

Evidently, she didn’t realize that she was supposed to remove the plastic wrap from the filter before installing it.

No dust was going to be blowing in that house! No air either. On the positive side, at least we have a customer who changes filters.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

2. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Poor lady. And she was trying so hard.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    My guy said “I didn’t have the heart to charge her”. I said, “good”.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

5. Likes R600a, Core_d, CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    thanks be to your good heart

Post Likes
    Back in the 70's my BIL worked for an HVAC company.
    He was on call and got a NO HEAT call.
    I took a ride with him.
    Went down the basement and all the new ductwork blinded me. It looked like it was chromed.
    Anyway he checks everything out and finds nothing.
    He found out the elderly lady was turning the round thermostat DOWN instead of UP for temperature.
    He took the cover and blew on it and told the lady it was just dust that caused the problem.
    He did not charge the lady for the call.
    We got back home and he called his boss.
    His A-hole boss reamed him for not charging her.
    Even though the company was around for many years, it wasn't long after that the company went out of business due to the IRS locking him up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    I got called by the sweetest old lady. A regular customer of ours. Her house was cold, and she needed help. She stated that she could feel heat at the registers, but there was no air blowing out. My guy shows up to take a look, and it turns out the lady just changed her furnace filter the day before.

Evidently, she didn’t realize that she was supposed to remove the plastic wrap from the filter before installing it.

No dust was going to be blowing in that house! No air either. On the positive side, at least we have a customer who changes filters.
    Had the same thing about 2 weeks ago, left the plastic on the filter, didn't have the heart to charge her.

Post Likes
    When I saw the thread title, I thought, yeah right. Then I got my chuckle.

Regarding not charging for things, had a job just last week, quoted for 8 hrs. Customer wanted me to check a smoke detector on another unit, long standing alarm code that even the alarm company couldn't figure out. I said okay, but let me wait till this other system is on the vacuum pump.

I had to make several trips up and down from the roof to the alarm panel. Ultimately determined there was a bad resistor across the N.O. contacts, used to verify the wires between the detector and alarm panel are still a complete circuit.

So I'm pulling stuff off of the roof, and he asks the value of the resistor, I tell him. So he comes out with another one, I stick it in.

Then he wants me to check another unit for a water leak.

I feel like he's working me about now. Told him the unit was dry, but there was puddling on the roof.

Anyway, probably ended up taking an extra 1.5 hours. Cut into the profit margin for that job. I could have charged him. But it could have easily taken up to another hour just for the paperwork. Because he would have needed to email the office to create the service calls, then I'd have to wait until they showed up on my schedule, then I'd need to fill out all of the forms, complete the nomenclature info and photo's.

He's a good customer, we still made money on the job, and I resolved a long standing problem that I'm sure he's already paid one or two of our guys to correct. So he got a couple of freebies.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    One place I worked, we would install the 4 inch filters with the plastic bags on until we went to commission the unit.

This would catch the general contractor or any subs that tried to use the unit before construction was done and fill it full of construction debris and dust.

They would call us and complain the new system was not working. We would then explain is was not working by design and to get some construction heaters or forever void your warranty.

Amazing how fast construction heaters show up when they have no other choice.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk