Post Likes

Fed Up with Buderus

After 11 years, I am totally fed up with my Aluminum casing Buderus GB 142-30. I'm trying to find reviews on the Weil McLain ECO 110 and the navies NHB 110 for my old Farm House in the Catskills. Our water has tons of iron and manganese in it and we experience many power outages, so we need one compatible with a generator.

Ideas, anyone ? Thank you for your input, I really appreciate.

John

Post Likes
    Buderus is an excellent boiler. Usually the problem is with the installation, maintenance and/or water quality.
    What problems are you having?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John P J Carly View Post
    After 11 years, I am totally fed up with my Aluminum casing Buderus GB 142-30. I'm trying to find reviews on the Weil McLain ECO 110 and the navies NHB 110 for my old Farm House in the Catskills. Our water has tons of iron and manganese in it and we experience many power outages, so we need one compatible with a generator.

Ideas, anyone ? Thank you for your input, I really appreciate.

John
    Reviews of HVAC equipment are worthless. The installing contractor makes or breaks a product.

Post Likes
    Tons of iron and manganese.
    Boiler no like.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Since a boiler is a sealed system and never takes on new water unless there is a repair made, treat the water when it is put in with fernox/sentinel or better yet get some municipal water and pump it in and add water treatment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Steve;

Thank you for getting back so quick. You are dead right, our mineral content in our water is the main culprit which is why I need a boiler with a stainless steel casing. I service the boiler regularly each and every year and the casing is plain shot after 8 years. Just had to replace the fan last night. I'm done. Time for a new burner from a manufacturer who actually treats their customers with a little respect.

Post Likes
    Steve;

Thank you for getting back so quick. You are dead right, our mineral content in our water is the main culprit which is why I need a boiler with a stainless steel casing. I service the boiler regularly each and every year and the casing is plain shot after 8 years. Just had to replace the fan last night. I'm done. Time for a new burner from a manufacturer who actually treats their customers with a little respect.
    How can you blame the manufacturer when the water quality is the issue?

8. Likes icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes

Getting rid of my Buderus

The Water isn't the only issue. I'm sparing the group the last 12 years of problem after problem and the abysmal customer service of company. All the Certified Folks in my area have dropped their affiliation with the company due to their reputation.

I'm simply looking for the best, 110,000 btu stainless steel casing boiler that will give me at least 15 years of peace of mind and a choice of folks who can service the thing.

Post Likes
    Does it need to be a little computer controlled rectangle that hangs on the wall?

If so, you will likely have problems with all of them.

Also, does it need to be so big? 110k seems to be pretty big, even for an old farm house. Bigger is not better when it comes to hvac stuff. It'd probably be worth it to find someone who can do a Manual J load calculation for you to see what size boiler you might actually need. A smaller one might work better and be more reliable.

A sectional cast iron boiler such as a Weil Mclain or Slantfin would probably be a better choice if you want long term reliability. I think some of them might even come with standing pilots still. Low tech and really heavy is sometimes better than something that has a bunch of circuit boards and weighs nothing and gets 10% better efficiency.
    Last edited by ammoniadog; 11-22-2019 at 01:44 PM.

11. Likes icy78, CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes

Fed up with my Buderus

I know you are right...Simple is better. Are Weil McLain's still reliable ? You are right again regarding the size. For a 1800 sq. ft 170 year old farm house, maybe a smaller boiler is the right way to go.

Cast Iron could be a problem if the casing isn't stainless steel as we have enormous amounts of iron and manganese in our water. It's systemic up here in the mountains.

Thank you.

Post Likes
    Cast Iron could be a problem if the casing isn't stainless steel as we have enormous amounts of iron and manganese in our water. It's systemic up here in the mountains.

Thank you.
    What does this mean? When you say casing, I'm picturing the sheetmetal on the outside of the unit. Is this thing sitting out in your front yard with a sprinkler spraying onto it?

If you are really talking about the heat exchanger, then cast iron is about as good of a choice as there is. Sure it will rust, but that usually takes decades since it's so thick.

Keep in mind that stainless isn't always "stainless". There are multiple grades of the stuff, and the cheaper grades (usually the kind that a magnet will stick to) aren't really as great as their name might imply. I don't know if the stainless that's used inside of most instantaneous water heaters is the good kind or not, but I do know that the companies that make them are known for trying to cut costs wherever possible.

Just a few weeks ago I was working in a pool mechanical room at a hotel. The pool heaters were fed natural gas from piping that's known as CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing). Not sure what brand it was, but it was the older yellow kind. I was working on the dehumidifier and just barely bumped into this tubing and then heard gas hissing out of it. Upon further inspection I saw that the section where it was leaking was actually a little rusty. I scraped the rust away and saw the little pinhole. So much for "stainless steel". Lucky I was here to bump into that pipe to notice the leak, or it might have formed with no one around and the hotel might be gonzo by now. Scary stuff!!!

Anyways, my point is to not put too much trust into something just because the advertising material says it's made out of "stainless steel".
    Last edited by ammoniadog; 11-22-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.