Post Likes

Modine Garage Heater Installation Advice

I have purchased a Modine 60,000 unit to heat my garage. There are a couple of items I could use some help on:

1. I am in an earthquake zone. I am aware of the required use of the flexible gas line and shutoff valve, but I'm wondering if there are any earthquake requirements on how I mount the heater? The options I see are using the Modine ceiling mount brackets or using threaded rods suspended from the ceiling? Any tips here?

2. I didn't really want to vent horizontally, but I think that is where I am going to end up. The reason I didn't want to is because the vent will be on a very visible side of the house. But if I roof vent, it would go through unconditioned space and I really don't want to deal with the condensate that will run down the vertical into a drain tee. Am I on the right track, or should I look harder at a roof vent?

Thanks very much in advance! Great forum here ....

Post Likes
    Is your installing company unable to provide this information? They should be able to tell you how to properly do everything per code.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Truth be told, I live in a VERY, VERY competitive housing area of the country. I have called 7 HVAC/Plumber contractors and no one is willing to do a job this small (and I live a little remote from town). So, I will have to install myself. I am just doing the research to ensure I do it right.

Post Likes
    Sorry, we cannot be of help to DIY projects.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    That's interesting, but I seem to remember that about this forum. No worries, there are many more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw2 View Post
    Truth be told, I live in a VERY, VERY competitive housing area of the country. I have called 7 HVAC/Plumber contractors and no one is willing to do a job this small (and I live a little remote from town). So, I will have to install myself. I am just doing the research to ensure I do it right.
    No ones willing to install equipment YOU purchased?

Post Likes
    There are ways to minimize/eliminate condensation in a situation like yours.

A qualified installer would know how to do that.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    If you are venting horizontally, you likely will need stainless steel flue pipe. Some of these garage heaters are no longer allowing double wall flue out the side wall as it isn't tight - not that it really matters in a garage.

Post Likes

AHJ ?

Google
    1. TOLCO Seismic Restraint Systems Guidelines
    2. SMACNA Seismic Manual
    ... …
    ____ and your National, State, County, LOCAL Building Code(s), as applicable.

Quite difficult to provide Any specific guidance
    _ " … I am in an Earthquake Zone …" ; " … remote from town …"
    _ _ _ presume somewhere in the Western Hemisphere
    … _ _ _ Alaska, WA, OR, CA, UT, NV, Missouri, VA, SC, Cuba, Chile, Argentina, …

There are lots of small towns in 6 Western, a few Eastern US states + other global locations.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities