Post Likes

Noises from Air Ducts

Last year, I had a furnace installed (used to be a forced air). With the furnace producing much hotter air, Ive noticed a lot of noises coming from one of my air ducts. The noise is sounds like a pop of the duct expanding and contracting. I took a video from inside the duct, but the forum will not let me post a link to it . Our house is very quiet and this noise tends to happen right when the furnace goes on and then turns off. Its not terribly loud, but loud enough to keep us up at night.

Ive located the duct in which the noise is coming from. It appears to be at a point where two pieces are overlapping. Weve had the people who installed the furnace out to look at it and they basically did not think it was an issue.

Any help in any direction would be greatly appreciated

Post Likes
    Did they do a Manual J heat loss, and properly commission the new install? Or even evaluate the existing ductwork to see if it would handle the proper flow rate.

Probably the new furnace blower motor is a different speed (higher) than the old furnace, causing the noise.

If the air is significantly hotter, might shorten the life of your new unit.
    Does a continuous call for heat have the unit bouncing off the high limit, IOW, burners come on and off, blower keeps running?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Measure the temperature of the air entering the furnace and of the air about 10' from the exit of the furnace with a digital thermometer, this number is called a temperature rise, the allowable min-max is listed on the furnaces ID sticker on the inside of the furnace. If the installers didn't at least check the temp rise and ducting static pressure then they dont know what their doing and are wasting your money. This appliance can and does kill Americans every winter thru bad installation, service and maintenance, seems you may want to hire someone that actually knows what their doing instead of rolling the dice.

Post Likes
    What do you mean "used to be a forced air?" Isn't the new one a forced air? They're all forced air if there is a blower.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanson View Post
    Last year, I had a furnace installed (used to be a forced air). With the furnace producing much hotter air,
    What does this mean?

It is still forced air if you are using ducts.

Do you mean it was a heat pump and now it's fuel burning?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ