Post Likes

Weather Forecast Algorithm

I work with Setpoint controls, I do design, service, and programming. I would love to put the forecast high and low temperatures into an algorithm for free cooling mode. There are a lot of days here in Colorado when a cold front may come in mid day. I don't want the system to switch over to mechanical cooling for a couple of hours if the temperature is going to fall. Also days where the temperature may only get a couple of degrees over changeover setpoint. There are so many days I could save my customers money if I could figure out a way to make this work. There is no way of doing this with setpoint orcaview without writing a complicated code that you must change variables in every couple days. I was curious if there are any systems out there that automatically download and incorporate a forecast into their algorithm?

Post Likes
    I'm sure many do. ALC can pull in several weather sources through a paid addon and you can utilize that in about any way you want.

What system are you dealing with?

Post Likes
    Tridium can do this as well. Free sources of forecast data are becoming a PITA to use, so a paid service is usually worth the hassle saved.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I'm sure many do. ALC can pull in several weather sources through a paid addon and you can utilize that in about any way you want.

This customer is running setpoint with delta controls on ORCAView 3.40. An enteliWeb server is connected to the system. So they would have to be compatible with enteliweb.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post

Have you used the weather add on yet?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool breeze 38 View Post
    No I have not, I didn't even know one existed until yesterday.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool breeze 38 View Post
    I've played around with it and it works but haven't had a calling to use the data.

I do know from other apps that a paid weather solution gets much better data. One of those many areas they have figured out that's worth money for the good stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    I work with Setpoint controls, I do design, service, and programming. I would love to put the forecast high and low temperatures into an algorithm for free cooling mode. There are a lot of days here in Colorado when a cold front may come in mid day. I don't want the system to switch over to mechanical cooling for a couple of hours if the temperature is going to fall. Also days where the temperature may only get a couple of degrees over changeover setpoint. There are so many days I could save my customers money if I could figure out a way to make this work. There is no way of doing this with setpoint orcaview without writing a complicated code that you must change variables in every couple days. I was curious if there are any systems out there that automatically download and incorporate a forecast into their algorithm?
    I've never seen anything actually incorporate the weather in this way. The most you usually get is discharge air or hot water supply reset based on current temps. If your customers are looking to save money on utilities, I would suggest something simple that their personnel can wrap their heads around. Anything more complicated and they are likely to get frustrated when the system isn't staying right at set point. I would suggest something like "If the foretasted outdoor temp in 2 hours will be lower than the economizer enable set point and is not currently lower than the economizer enable set point, lockout mechanical cooling until the space temp is two degrees above set point." One I have used is "If the foretasted high temp for the day will be above 60F and the current outdoor temp is below the economizer enable set point, allow the economizer to drop the space temp two degrees below the cooling set point"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    This customer is running setpoint with delta controls on ORCAView 3.40. An enteliWeb server is connected to the system. So they would have to be compatible with enteliweb.
    There is a weather add-on for enteliWEB that you can get from Delta. I haven't used it myself but I've heard it works well. I believe it updates the forecast temperatures to AVs on the network which you can then use in your programs.

Post Likes
    I ALWAYS delay the heating system for a while, and when possible I put it on thte screen and default to 3 hours. Stops the system from coming on at 4 am and shutting off with the sun you know. You can just delay the dx UNLESS something happens like any temp over X or the average gets over Z, etc.
    One time we had an engineer spec that if the chiller ran the previous day then that morning we opened all OA dampers and reliefs/exhaust and flushed the building out. So all I had to do was put a 24 hour off delay on the chiller enable to detect that.
    Good luck in Colorado https://nationalfile.com/colorado-ci...ess-in-public/