Thread: Rattling Noise from Heat Strips

Post Likes

Confused Rattling Noise from Heat Strips

Hi all,

Recently I had my old furnace replaced with heat pump + air handler. Since the install, there is this rattling noise from the heat strips when the heat is on.
    Whenever i open up the filter box to let more air flow into the system, the rattle noise is gone. If i remove the filter from the filter box, the noise is also gone.
    The contractor tried a few things and gave up. So I'd like to hear some suggestions from you guys.

Post Likes
    It is an air flow issue. Did they install large equipment than the old system?
    Have they measured static pressure?
    Why did you let them give up?Hold them responsible.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherUser View Post
    Hi all,

Recently I had my old furnace replaced with heat pump + air handler. Since the install, there is this rattling noise from the heat strips when the heat is on.
    Whenever i open up the filter box to let more air flow into the system, the rattle noise is gone. If i remove the filter from the filter box, the noise is also gone.
    The contractor tried a few things and gave up. So I'd like to hear some suggestions from you guys.
    Find a different contractor

Post Likes
    Oversized equipment on undersized ducting seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Installer sounds incompetent if they can figure out an airflow noise or very likely they know why it's making noise but dont want to tell you it's because of their equipment selection that you have noise

Post Likes
    Sooo, if the heat strips are not on, just the Heat Pump ( in heat mode ) do you have the rattle? If you run in cool mode ( even if it’s not needed ) does it rattle? If you only run the fan only, buy putting it to fan ON with system switch off, does it rattle?

If in heat mode with just the Heat Pump running and the system goes into defrost and your electric heat comes on ( if it’s wired to ) does the rattle start?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in