Post Likes

Fan not staying on inheat or AC

Hi,
    I have an AC and forced hot air system in my house. The AC was working fine yesterday (live in San Diego and there is a heat wave). Today we started a kitchen remodel, the only common item to AC is that some of the lines run through the kitchen wall. I got home tonight and the AC will not come on. When in AC mode - the outside compressor runs. but the blower never turns on to blow the air. I tried it in Heat and same thing, blower never comes on. If I turn the fan from Auto to ON, then the blower comes on for a few seconds and then turns off. I checked all the breakers in the house, and they are all on. I was going to have a look up in the attic and then call my HVAC guy, but just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.
    Thanks in advance. --Dan

Post Likes
    Check the air filter. Dirt from the remodel could clog the filter and coils very quickly. If the filter is clean, call for service.

Post Likes
    You my friend are a genius. Worked like a charm, I have probably been negligent in changing the filters so the remodel put them over the top. Have a great day. --Dan

Post Likes
    Even a dirty filter wont prevent the blower from coming on, but it will make the motors job easier. I'd recommend calling for service as it's likely this is just the start of the problem. A failing blower motor can overheat the heat exchanger or wipe out the a/c compressor, this is how small problems become big expensive problems

Post Likes
    OK will do. I have some other work I'd like to have done anyways, one room is too hot bad airflow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ddevine View Post
    You my friend are a genius. Worked like a charm, I have probably been negligent in changing the filters so the remodel put them over the top. Have a great day. --Dan
    Definitely NOT the cause of the blower not coming on!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    It maybe necessary to pull and clean the blower assembly and evap coil, it doesnt take much to kill your airflow and efficiency. If that gets cleaned up and the motor electrically checks out ok ask to have your static pressure measured and compare it to your furnaces blower performance chart