Post Likes

Balance Dampers Locked With Screws

I am balancing a building equipped with FPB'S. I have gone to 5 FPB'S and found 4 balance dampers that had screws holding them in place. This eats a balancers time in a hurry.
    What is so difficult about learning how to install balance dampers without installing screws that prevent adjusting the damper. I finally broke two of them loose but left the other two for the installer.
    There is no acceptable excuse for this. This is a low ceiling existing building and most of the dampers are hard to almost impossible to get to.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    New install? I was recently on a job our tab guys balanced lab hoods, and the lab rats were like that cant be right that damper is barely open. I know the guys that did it and there anal about there numbers. I told to knock it off and get back to work. My point is were they being thorough to make sure no one messed with it or d*ckheads. Sorry Wayne I reread your post are you saying they installed the dampers and the screws were keeping any adjustments possible. I should probably have another cup of coffee before I jump on to the forums
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    No problem Cajun. The screws were put in during the damper installation. Sheet metal guys know they are supposed to leave all balance dampers wide open. The ones that are closed almost always have screws through the duct wall holding them closed. This indicates the guy that screwed up knew it. It only takes a second for them to make sure the dampers are operable. It takes a second for the balancer to adjust the damper but minutes to fix it.
    If two balancers are on a system it takes maybe 5 to 10 seconds to balance a diffuser. If the damper is screwed shut and the balancer fixes it the time now is 5 to 10 minutes. How would you like it if someone's laziness ran up your manhours by that percentage?
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    No problem Cajun. The screws were put in during the damper installation. Sheet metal guys know they are supposed to leave all balance dampers wide open. The ones that are closed almost always have screws through the duct wall holding them closed. This indicates the guy that screwed up knew it. It only takes a second for them to make sure the dampers are operable. It takes a second for the balancer to adjust the damper but minutes to fix it.
    If two balancers are on a system it takes maybe 5 to 10 seconds to balance a diffuser. If the damper is screwed shut and the balancer fixes it the time now is 5 to 10 minutes. How would you like it if someone's laziness ran up your manhours by that percentage?
    yup now I understand you were buddy f*cked no excuse I would dump it in there lap, put it on there punch list.

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    I dumped the last two I found in their laps. This is a tough job that has a history of comfort problems to the point most people working there are convinced it can't be fixed. Almost all the FBB'S are oversized to the point I have to put a lot of thought into how to balance the system. If balanced per design there will be several problems.
    I have enough to worry about without the laziness factor.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Is this the place where you met those sweet ladies? If so are you getting them taken care of? I would like to see the report, and how you compesated for the improper engineering. Ive got 20+ years in the trade with another 20 to go so Im trying to get into last half of my years in tab it intrigues me what you guys can do

Post Likes
    TAB is enjoyable. I will email you the calculations I started with. That will give you something to analyze. Part of the problem on this job is I have way too much fan for heating. That is difficult to compensate for. In many places I have too much design primary airflow (as much as 4 times that needed).
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    When you found one or two OK. More id go back to the GC and say whos paying for the extra labor!

Post Likes
    Agree pecmsg it is understandable for the installer to miss a damper occasionally. In that case I have cut the insulation off and got the screws out myself. A lot of times a hole drilled by the blade and a pry with a screw driver does the trick. I only go back on them when the screw driver doesn't work.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    When we have this problem I have the contractor go in front of us and check every one of them . Most times their guy will work with us and adjust the dampers as we balance. This kind of crap is what eats up the time .

Post Likes
    I met the owner on the job today to make sure the dampers were fixed. He was pissed at his guys and told me he doesn't like having the problem either. They have taken actions that have helped but still have some problems. I told him that we bid the jobs in minutes and when it takes 5 or 10 minutes to do a 5 second job we lose money pretty quick.
    Thomas Jefferson