Thread: VAV Rookie

Post Likes

VAV Rookie

Heck, I am a HVAC rookie that just finished school in August. I worked briefly for a commercial outfit but I realized real quick that company wasn't a good fit for me. I then landed a job at the technical college where I studied HVAC.

So far I have been working on RTU's and VAV's. Now the RTU's I have a good understanding of and can diagnose and correct most issues.

Now comes the VAV's that I have very limited training on. The school uses "Insight" computer program to monitor these units. I have just begun to learn this program and have some training scheduled with the provider next month.

So far I have been able to at least figure out how to diagnose if a TEC VAV controller isn't working correctly. I had to change one today and was pleased when the VAV came back online and started working.

One thing that I am not sure about but my work buddy and I tackled is changing the blower motor in one of these units. I am not sure of the model number but they are Trane. We had two with non-functioning motors. One had sucked in a large amount of insulation and the other one just gave up.

After studying the way these things were put together, we figured the only way to access the motors and caps was to take the bottom off of the units. I wonder if that was the best way and I will get the unit number so someone can possibly answer my question.

Now taking the bottom off of the unit was still a hassle, ceiling tile grids in the way, and trying to make sure the units were supported when we moved the attachment straps, etc. Still we managed to do the job and get the units up and running.

Next we have supply temp sensors to install on many units and land the wires on the TEC's. We completed one last week and I could see the readout on the Insight program after cycling the power.

So far so good, and I would appreciate any and all knowledge you guys could provide.

Post Likes
    If you have something called “insight” for a front end, you have a mish/mash of controls. Never a good situation.

Trane VAV’s are pretty stable over the long term (20+ years). You might try cycling power on all the boxes to force a recalibration cycle.

Do you have a program to talk to the boxes, or just the aftermarket controls?

3. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    If you have something called “insight” for a front end, you have a mish/mash of controls. Never a good situation.

Trane VAV’s are pretty stable over the long term (20+ years). You might try cycling power on all the boxes to force a recalibration cycle.

Do you have a program to talk to the boxes, or just the aftermarket controls?
    Well you are talking over my head a bit. I will say that "Insight" is the program that talks to the boxes. Today I had an impromptu class on programming one of the TEC's (boxes). Here is a picture of the one of the TEC's we are using.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    That control is on this VAV. We have many of these style in our buildings.

Post Likes
    Here is a screen shot of just one thing I can see with the Insight program.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
    Here is a screen shot of just one thing I can see with the Insight program.
    You may have a "Trane" built box, but you have a Siemens controller on it.
    Also you seem to have a Siemens front end. Pretty standard box, you have a heating and a cooling set point indicated on the stat. But it is set to local control and set to 72*. Look up Siemens application 6636 controller for a variable air volume fan powered box with electrical reheat to understand it better.
    Good Luck
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM