Thread: Well I'll be...

Post Likes

Well I'll be...

May post in hydronics but it might limit who can see it. 55 years or so and I can't recall seeing this before. The first section I saw I'm thinking they were short a 1 1/2 nipple. I began following the loop around the basement. Instead of using Monoflo tees they simply choked down the run where they took off for each radiator. Radiator is supplied by tee on the right and returns to tee on the left.
    [IMG]monoflo by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Likes
    Same effect. Pressure differential. Never seen mono flo tee for cast iron.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    should have plenty of flow to that radiator

Post Likes
    Yes they were all heating fine except one standing radiator with air issues someplace. I've taken care of their A/C for at least ten years but first time checking the heat. She said the house is not warming up. 2nd fl standing radiators all solid air, limit set to 140, all the standing rads have cabinets and the two CI baseboards had new floors at some point blocking all but about 1/4 inch of the bottom inlet air.

Post Likes
    O-S fitting was used for steel, predates the copper monoflo fitting.
    https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help...e-o-s-fitting/
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    O-S fitting was used for steel, predates the copper monoflo fitting.
    https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help...e-o-s-fitting/
    I remember that article but I think these are regular tees. If, like the monoflo tee, these had scoops in them there would be no need to choke down the run after every take off

Post Likes
    Hey Glennhvac, I agree, but my comment was geared toward dandyme who said they never seen a monoflo type tee for cast iron.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Hey Glennhvac, I agree, but my comment was geared toward dandyme who said they never seen a monoflo type tee for cast iron.
    Just got an email from Dan Holohan. I sent him the pic.

Great to hear from you, Glenn. I've seen this a few times. It follows the same principle of creating a greater pressure drop along the run than on the branch. The water takes the path of least resistance. It works and may have been a bit less expensive than buying the diverter tees. Thanks so much for sharing!

Dan

9. Likes icy78 liked this post.