Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    2
    Post Likes

    Now cold basement

    I don't think this is a unique question but I can't find info by searching.
    I live in Maine in an old farm house with moderate insulation. I have to mini splits in the house in main area and they work fine. I was thinking of adding three more for another two story part of the house.
    I have an efficient oil fired furnace which is used in that part of the house now. Of course when the furnace is on the basement is kept warm also. Thats where the water pipes are and I also have a heat pump water heater down there.
    My question is if I install heat pumps and the furnace is not used will my basement be so cold that the pipes might freeze and of course the water heater won't have as much warm air to be efficient. I have 6 people with this problem.
    Should I wrap the pipes, add heat some way. Heating the basement would be expensive and wipe away any savings. Some help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Likes
    Add another mini split head down there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Broomall, PA
    Posts
    2,878
    Post Likes
    If you’re in Maine, and your oil burner is efficient, you should be using that over the mini splits when the temperatures are gettin that low.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,299
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by islandguy5 View Post
    I don't think this is a unique question but I can't find info by searching.
    I live in Maine in an old farm house with moderate insulation. I have to mini splits in the house in main area and they work fine. I was thinking of adding three more for another two story part of the house.
    I have an efficient oil fired furnace which is used in that part of the house now. Of course when the furnace is on the basement is kept warm also. Thats where the water pipes are and I also have a heat pump water heater down there.
    My question is if I install heat pumps and the furnace is not used will my basement be so cold that the pipes might freeze and of course the water heater won't have as much warm air to be efficient. I have 6 people with this problem.
    Should I wrap the pipes, add heat some way. Heating the basement would be expensive and wipe away any savings. Some help would be appreciated.
    This and the cost of a heat pump water heater just don't make sense to me in justifying them.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    2
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    This and the cost of a heat pump water heater just don't make sense to me in justifying them.
    I guess I should have mentioned that I live on an Island. Oil suppliers, electric, propane, transportation everything is much more expensive and lately we our being gouged by many of these suppliers.
    I will be installing ground mount PV system but first I have to get all expenses figured out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Posts
    4,920
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by islandguy5 View Post
    I guess I should have mentioned that I live on an Island. Oil suppliers, electric, propane, transportation everything is much more expensive and lately we our being gouged by many of these suppliers.
    I will be installing ground mount PV system but first I have to get all expenses figured out.
    Add another mini to the basement then.!
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    25,585
    Post Likes
    that heat pump water heater is a refrigeration system in the basement.

    You'll need a heat pump with roughly the same capacity as the heat pump water heater!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •