Thread: Low Humidity

Post Likes

Low Humidity

I have a Mitsubishi system with 2 zones of heating and cooling. 1 Zone in the basement heats my first floor. 2nd zone handler located in the attic heats the bedrooms. My problem is that during the winter it gets really dry, mainly in one zone. Symptoms are dry nose and skin of all of the house occupants. I called an HVAC in Massachusetts and they all tell me to buy a standalone humidifier. I did that and humidity is still leaking out. Should my air handlers be insulated, because right now they are not. Any tips or ideas?

Post Likes
    Any equipment in unconditioned space needs insulated. Most low humidity problems in the winter are due to cold air infiltration. Seal up windows and doors. Then look into a steam humidifier that mounts on the ducts, like an Aprilaire 800.

Post Likes
    That’s not an equipment problem it’s an air infiltration problem.

Have a blower door test done, find and fix the air leaks.

Post Likes
    All the equipment does is heat the air. It only removes moisture in cooling mode.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post

This is a good suggestion, I will try to do this. Both the attic and basement get very cold during the winter and they are unconditioned spaces. Is it still worth insulating the air handlers?

Post Likes
    I should also say that if I leave my system off and run the humidifier the humidity returns and it feels less dry.

Post Likes

I have booked an appointment with Mass Save to do a free assessment of my home insulation. I also took a look up in my attic and found that the ducting is pretty well insulated. The air handler unit is not insulated on the outside but on the inside the unit has this black insulating material screwed to the walls. Is this normal?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rahimshaheed View Post
    I should also say that if I leave my system off and run the humidifier the humidity returns and it feels less dry.
    Duct leakage bring in attic air?

Blower door test will tell

Post Likes
    Duct leakage bring in attic air?

Blower door test will tell
    Thank you everyone for the helpful hints, I will update this posting after the insulation inspection.

Post Likes
    INFILTRATION not insulation.... As in blower door test on the home.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in