Post Likes

ADVICE ON OPERATING NOISE OF GOODMAN ACNF 180816DC

Hello everyone, and first of all thank you very much for this amazing and information rich forum, I hope that I am not posting a silly question but I really used some advice from someone knowledgeable in the matter.

I recently move to Canada, originally I am from Portugal, and this is my first home with an air handler like the ceiling mount goodman acnf installed at my new home. For the last couple of months I hadn't need to switch my ac or heating, but now, as the cold starts to settle in I switched on the heating last week. My hvac is controlled by a Emerson digital non programmable thermostat, that I have put in heating setting with fan on auto with temperature set to 21C (around 70f). My problem is that when the unit works, it makes a lot of noise, specially at night, everyone at home wakes up when the unit starts working. I am electromechanical engineer by profession, and I work everyday with fans and electric motors, so I can say that the noise is not rattling or uncommon for a fan, it's just the regular noise of a fan working full speed without any sound insulation. I had attached a photo of the place where the unit is installed and some photos of the fan itself.

Since the house is rented, I asked the landlord to check if that operating noise was normal, he came with someone and they said is normal. I don't know what knowledge they have, but it doesn't seem normal to me that everytime the unit works everyone at home wakes with the noise.

I attached some photos of the unit and would really appreciate some advice on whether the operating noise is normal or not, I mean, is difficult obviously to explain by words the level of noise, but imagine a blower working full speed without any sound insulation during the night. The bedrooms are located really close to the unit, and the noise is definitely not the ducts, is the unit itself.

This unit has not a variable speed motor and it's currently connected to the high speed setting.

Thanks in advance for your help,

best regards,

Hugo
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Likes
    There trying to push too much air thru too small of a duct!

Being a rental not much you can do except run it with fan on!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    There trying to push too much air thru too small of a duct!

Being a rental not much you can do except run it with fan on!
    Thank you for your reply @pecmsg, even being a rental unit I can deal with the landlord, I can even pay myself for the required work to be done. Would make sense for example to connect the fan in lower speed mode?

Also, I noticed that there is available an enclosure with filter that is shown on the installation manual that for sure would reduce considerably the operating noise and that for some reason was not installed. Could this be feasible?

Because I don't think all this noise is normal, what people do, everyone that has a system like this one they don't sleep? It's weird.

Thanks in advance

Name:  Annotation 2019-11-18 095205.png
Views: 48
Size:  135.4 KB