Post Likes

Incorrect installation of Trane furnace

Hi all,

Just looking for perspective on how to handle a situation.

Im a homeowner who purchased a high efficiency (says 97% on the furnace) Trane furnace in 2014. Last couple years, my furnace was struggling to light due to lack of air intake. Which I paid to address a couple times in the last few years.

The company that originally installed my unit (and serviced the last 5 years) was acquired by another company recently. Long story short, the new acquiring company came out to address the issue (their first time) and told me the unit was incorrectly installed from the beginning.

The diagnosis is that a 3 termination kit was used outside where the intake and exhaust terminate, while my unit is built with 2 PVC pipes. This created a situation where the exhaust was being sucked back in through the intake, and choking the unit. In addition, rust has formed on the burners and need to be replaced.

The company recommends installing the proper 2 kit and replacing the burners.

Im concerned this undiagnosed issue over the last 5 years may have shortened my furnaces lifespan.

My questions for the forum is if you were in my shoes, would you feel satisfied with the remediation? What else would you want inspected? Would you request a brand new furnace given the situation? Anything else?

Thanks for the advice greatly appreciate your time!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucsfan1976 View Post
    Hi all,

Just looking for perspective on how to handle a situation.

I’m a homeowner who purchased a high efficiency (says 97% on the furnace) Trane furnace in 2014. Last couple years, my furnace was struggling to light due to lack of air intake. Which I paid to address a couple times in the last few years.

The company that originally installed my unit (and serviced the last 5 years) was acquired by another company recently. Long story short, the new acquiring company came out to address the issue (their first time) and told me the unit was incorrectly installed from the beginning.

The diagnosis is that a 3” termination kit was used outside where the intake and exhaust terminate, while my unit is built with 2” PVC pipes. This created a situation where the exhaust was being sucked back in through the intake, and choking the unit. In addition, rust has formed on the burners and need to be replaced.

The company recommends installing the proper 2” kit and replacing the burners.

I’m concerned this undiagnosed issue over the last 5 years may have shortened my furnace’s lifespan.

My questions for the forum is — if you were in my shoes, would you feel satisfied with the remediation? What else would you want inspected? Would you request a brand new furnace given the situation? Anything else?

Thanks for the advice — greatly appreciate your time!
    The venting requirements are pretty straight forward in the manual. Do a search for and get a copy.

I would still get a second opinion, the new tech may be a salesman!

Post Likes
    What’s the model number of the furnace?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucsfan1976 View Post

My questions for the forum is — if you were in my shoes, would you feel satisfied with the remediation? What else would you want inspected? Would you request a brand new furnace given the situation? Anything else?

Thanks for the advice — greatly appreciate your time!
    The remediation should resolve the issue of any further re-ingestion as long as the "fix" takes into account any other reason this might have been happening. There are also specifications and good practices that want the exhaust exiting the home in an area that won't be subjected to swirling wind patterns and snow drifts.

A through clean and service performed on the furnace should identify any thing else that might need attention.

As far as a new furnace I don't think it's really warranted because the burners are rusted.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    It is common for a furnace to require 3" pipes but have 2" openings. Redo the termination so the exhaust isn't picked up by the intake.

Post Likes
    We must have the furnace model number to know if 2” or 3” pipes are needed. Please provide the model number. Some pictures of the installation would be helpful.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Pictures might help
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    We must have the furnace model number to know if 2 or 3 pipes are needed. Please provide the model number. Some pictures of the installation would be helpful.
    And how long the venting is.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    What type of termination is on the outside. I have used 3" terminations on 2" pipe for years and never had a problem. IN fact up till the last few years that is all the distributor carried. I just put a reducing bushing into the termination to fill the space and have never had a recirculation problem with the BAYVENT 200 (looks like a oval plate with a hole with bars across it towards one side).

10. Likes JeffWil liked this post.