+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to recover refrigerant from oil logged system

Post Likes

How to recover refrigerant from oil logged system

I have a 2 ton R22 package system with an evap coil leak that has been running very low pressures. I get mineral oil out of the suction line when connecting gauges and foaming oil out of the liquid valve. I am going to replace the evap coil but I am not sure the best way to recover the existing refrigerant. It seems like I will be pulling a lot of oil into the recovery tank. I can recharge the system using what's in the recovery tank but it will probably not be that much refrigerant, the system only holds 45oz. I could add refrigerant and wait for more of the oil to make it back to the compressor or perhaps add some virgin refrigerant to the recovery tank to increase the amount that will be pulled from the recovery tank. I don't really want that much oil in my lines. Not sure the best approach?

Post Likes
    Add heat, recover the best you can. Don't try to recover oil in evap but blow out condenser coil.

Best practice is to pull compressor, pour oil out and measure. Subtract it from the design capacity of the compressor. Then add oil that is missing to equal the oil lost. Recharge with virgin R22.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in