Post Likes

Trane WSHP TXV bulb placement

I am working on a condo building with 2 ton Trane R22 water source heat pumps. Every unit that I have serviced (around 12) have the txv bulb consisting of a piece of insulating tape wrapped around the suction line, then the txv bulb zip tied to the insulation. This is in the cavity below the evap coil and blower and about 7 inches away from the compressor.

I was told by a Trane installer that because these units were undersized for the space (2 ton serving 2500 sqft in Hawaii) this was done to allow the txv to be wide open all the time since it is always under a high load. This did not make sense to me because if the suction line is hot from high load and being underserved then the txv should be wide open anyway. On one unit I removed the insulation and attached the bulb directly to the suction line with a pipe clamp and then insulated the bulb. The results were high head pressure. Instead of the usual 240ish psig I was getting around 315 psig. The units are around 12 years old so I don't want this extra strain on the compressor so I put it back to the way it was. Can someone tell me what is going on?

I have also been told that measuring subcooling on a water source heat pump is not an accurate way to set the charge and to only go by weight. Not sure why this is the case either.

Post Likes
    ?

Post Likes
    On that unit I would weigh in the charge. Even 240psi sounds high to me, we have 60 degree water and usually go about 1.7 gpm per ton around here.