Post Likes

Zoned 2 stage heat pump system, aux heat not engaging

Hi, homeowner here with a problem with my aux heat.

I have a 2 stage heat pump split system with the ducting zoned for 2 zones. The units are as follows:

Compressor: Goodman GSZC16 heat pump

Zone control board: Honeywell HZ322

Thermostats: Ecobee 3 (zone 1) & Ecobee 4(zone 2)

My issue is that when the thermostats are calling for aux heat it's not actually turning on. I took readings of the W wire terminals at the zone board on the thermostat side and get 30v, so the aux heat call is getting to the zone board, but when i measure the W terminal on the heat pump/air handler side of the zone board I only get 10v so the board is preventing the call for aux heat. After reading the zone board manual I found that it doesn't actually support 2 stage compressor systems with aux heat (only 2 stage without aux heat for some reason). I was thinking that maybe if I jumped the W wire terminals between the thermostat sides and the equipment sides that the aux heat call would actually come through and turn on. Would this work? If not is there any other solution besides replacing the zone board with one that does support 2 stage compressors with aux heat? Thanks!

Post Likes
    After reading the zone board manual,
    I found that it doesn't actually support 2 stage compressor systems
    with aux heat (only 2 stage without aux heat for some reason).

SOUNDS LIKE
    _____________ D.I.Y.

REVIEW Forum Rules
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    After reading the zone board manual,
    I found that it doesn't actually support 2 stage compressor systems
    with aux heat (only 2 stage without aux heat for some reason).

SOUNDS LIKE
    _____________ D.I.Y.

REVIEW Forum Rules
    This was not a DIY job. I paid a HVAC contractor to replace my heat pump and modify the ducts in my house for 2 zones about 6 months ago. He's not responding to my requests he come over and remedy the situation.

Post Likes
    30V is higher than I would expect.

Ecobee compatible with the zine control board?

You are correct, that zone board does not support your system.

Guess your hvac guy was not too knowledgeable in this area. Where did you find him?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    30V is higher than I would expect.

Ecobee compatible with the zine control board?

You are correct, that zone board does not support your system.

Guess your hvac guy was not too knowledgeable in this area. Where did you find him?
    Sorry, I was rounding up, the reading was 27V.

I can't find anything explicitly stating that the thermostat is or isn't compatible with the zone board.

There was a miscommunication between me and the contractor regarding the compressor unit I wanted installed. He originally put in the 16 SEER single stage compressor, which was compatible with the zone board, but had to come back and swap it out with the 2 stage unit. I guess he forgot (or didn't know) that the zone board wouldn't work properly in conjunction with the new unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stomas456 View Post
    No a good idea.

I can't find anything explicitly stating that the thermostat is or isn't compatible with the zone board.
    The same document used to determine that the board is not compatible with your current set up also lists compatible thermostats. Ecobee is not on there. Calling Honeywell tech support could also be done to make a determination.

There was a miscommunication between me and the contractor regarding the compressor unit I wanted installed. He originally put in the 16 SEER single stage compressor, which was compatible with the zone board, but had to come back and swap it out with the 2 stage unit. I guess he forgot (or didn't know) that the zone board wouldn't work properly in conjunction with the new unit.
    Why did he have to swap it out?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stomas456 View Post

There has to be more to this story!

You got them to change a new condensing unit from single stage to 2 stage?