Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes

Explosion... please plug, cap all open gas pipes....

this last weekend i watched a camper explode in front of me.
    no one was hurt, a back panel blew off and we got the fire out that was going pretty well inside the cabinets.

4 weeks before rifle season (white tail) the '74 vintage camper failed to heat. the diagnosis was a weak pilot generator. old obsolete 350 millivolt with a screw connector at the valve end.
    what I didnt know is the following week or 2 ago others had tried to install a universal thermocouple, (30MV) which of course didnt fit. the tight fit of the valve in the old gravity heater required the gas valve to be removed. it was never reinstalled.

please plug open gas lines, always.

the campers owner forgot, we'll call him "Bob", went to heat dinner on the stove inside but first turned the LP tanks back on. at the time there was a sunflower heater on inside, so the ignition source was about 15 inches up.

the loud boom jolted me from the campfire. we all then saw the fireball roll from one side and through the camper to the other through the windows. most ran to get Bob out of there, some ran to shut off the LP tanks. after Bob got out and deemed ok and unhurt we found many small fires inside cabinets.

so please. CAP OR PLUG ALL OPEN GAS PIPES YOU ENCOUNTER. plugs and caps are dirt cheap. we may not like all our customers but no one want to see any one hurt or worse.

thanks for listening, i needed to get this out
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

2. Likes under pressure liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Bob was inside when it went boom ??

I bet he had a story of what that was like .....

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    Bob was inside, he's fine, even has his eyebrows still. I forgot one point, the door to the camper was wide open. that probably kept the concussion to a minimum.
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

in a service van down by the river...........
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the PSA.......

About 25 years ago, I had a supervisor that relocated from across the country to be the service manager of our branch office.
    He and his family sold their house and traveled in a late-model RV to live in until they could close on the house they were looking at…

A similar event happened that took the life of his precious three-year-old daughter… I never did know the source of the explosion or the reason but I watched a broken man try to stay in the game and eventually move on…

Stay safe out there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

Post Likes
    Glad "Bob" is okay! What did you all sleep in for the rest of deer season?

Please do the same thing for abandoned fill and vent pipes from oil tanks. We had a new customer that received about 150 gallons of #2 fuel oil into their basement because their previous heating contractor replaced the oil furnace with a gas furnace, pulled the tank out of the basement but never removed or plugged the fill and vent pipes. The customer was on a keep fill program with the oil company but forgot to cancel.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

7. Likes under pressure liked this post.