Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 35 of 35
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,855
    Post Likes
    The use of power unit(magnet from old valve) is not a conclusive test. Just because the tcouple holds the magnet only means the tcouple is producing at least 2 or 3 mv. You must use and adapter to take a load and dropout read. Usually you see around 12-15 mv under load and dropout should happen 2-3 mv. I've taken probably over a thousand mv test in my career and always used a meter. The suggestion of the power unit has merit only in a situation where you can't install the adapter into the valve due to position. I used my power unit with the adapter to check tcouple value. Of course this does not test the valve for dropout.
    Wish you well

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    32,180
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    The use of power unit(magnet from old valve) is not a conclusive test. Just because the tcouple holds the magnet only means the tcouple is producing at least 2 or 3 mv. You must use and adapter to take a load and dropout read. Usually you see around 12-15 mv under load and dropout should happen 2-3 mv. I've taken probably over a thousand mv test in my career and always used a meter. The suggestion of the power unit has merit only in a situation where you can't install the adapter into the valve due to position. I used my power unit with the adapter to check tcouple value. Of course this does not test the valve for dropout.
    Wish you well
    Maybe it's just a difference in terminology, so I'll ask...

    What are you referring to as a "power unit?" Can you post a link?
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  3. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,855
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Maybe it's just a difference in terminology, so I'll ask...

    What are you referring to as a "power unit?" Can you post a link?
    Hi TM
    Years ago when you could actually purchase sections of gas valves one was the magnet. It was termed "power unit" by Honeywell as well as other mfg.
    I don't have link to post
    Magnet has always been the accepted term.
    Possibly it would be the same as saying Freon when speaking of refrigerants?

  4. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
  5. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    32,180
    Post Likes
    Magnet. That's what I was thinking.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  6. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    WYO
    Posts
    2,177
    Post Likes
    I use an old Baso switch I carry often for the magnet test

  8. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
  9. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Sacramento Area, CA
    Posts
    34
    Post Likes
    I know its a long shot, but have you tried blowing out the pilot tubing and carefully inspecting the pilot orfice? Sometimes spiders will lay eggs inside the tubing, its not enough to stop the gas flow but enough to weaken the pilot and make you rip your hair out....

    When I was a young tech I learned this after a couple call backs and was stubborn thinking that if the pilot is lit and how the hell would a spider get inside that tiny tube - but they do....

    BTW, you have to use compressed air, simply blowing on the tube will not do it...

    Good luck!

  10. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
  11. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Likes
    hit the valve with your kliens while holding the button and lighting. im bettin bad valves

  12. #34
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    73
    Post Likes
    Ever find out what was the issue?...
    What the issue was?...
    Issue is?...

  13. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
  14. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Sumter, SC
    Posts
    766
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by jperigo View Post
    Ever find out what was the issue?...
    What the issue was?...
    Issue is?...
    Yeah, valves were bad. This place has been neglected for a very long time. We changed all the valves and now everything is working fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR