Post Likes

Help with decision

Hi Everyone,
    We are building a new 2,800 sq ft single story house, slab-on-grade in climate zone 6 (Wisconsin). The HVAC systems will be in the Mechanical Room in the conditioned space. This will be a forced air natural gas furnace. On previous builds with slab-on-grade houses our builder has put the duct system in the unconditioned attic on top of the attic floor and encases the ducts in closed cell foam to prevent heat/cooling lost to the unconditioned attic. Then he uses blown fiberglass to bring the attic to the proper R-value. I have been looking at using plenum trusses and bring the whole HVAC system into conditioned space. Our builder has not used plenum trusses but is open to considering them.

I would appreciate any insight on the benefits, drawbacks of each application including costs, future maintenance, efficiency, possible noise issues, etc. Thanks for your response.

Post Likes
    I think ducts in conditioned space is the way to go. Actually I think radiant heat is the way to go, but you didn't ask that.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Hi STEVEusaPA,
    Thanks for your insight. Can you expand on why you consider the plenum trusses a better option. As to the radiant heat, I have seen comments from other home owners with slab-on-grade houses with radiant heat comment that the concrete flooring is a heat sink that continues to heat the house well after you turn the heat down and in some cases causes the owner to open the windows, especially during shoulder seasons, in order to accomplish cooling the house which is counter to having an efficient system to begin with. So I have opted to have finer control with forced air.

Post Likes

REFERENCES

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes

50,000 BTU/HR + / - A Lot

SCOPING
    ________ W.A.G.

Need REAL assistance
    __ .:. gmail address: racingdan11
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities