Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Sequencer model number for a very old unit

Bought a condo in Indianapolis recently and it came with an ~40 year old electric furnace unit. Not ready to spend $$ to replace the system and wanted to see if I can get this fixed. Out of the 3 technicians that saw it, only 1 was able to fix it (some wires were cut) but now it needs a new sequencer. The model number is not visible and the technician is not very motivated to find it for me as (I assume) there's not much money in it for him.

Can anyone here help me? Need model number for the sequencer in the furnace. Below are the details of the furnace:

Company - BDP Company
    Model - 961-042-015-A

Any help is appreciated.

Post Likes
    Site rules do not allow giving part numbers or wiring diagrams.

Your tech should be charging for the time he spends ordering and installing the part.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    I tried to look it up on the Bryant dealer site, no luck.

Seems to me a smart tech can make a generic sequencer work although that is a relic.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Site rules do not allow giving part numbers or wiring diagrams.

Your tech should be charging for the time he spends ordering and installing the part.
    Thanks for responding. I wasn't aware of the rules.

That tech stopped responding which was surprising as he was the only one who said he could fix it. The other 2 techs just wanted to replace the system. I would gladly pay him for his time but as the weather is getting colder, I am in a time crunch and him not responding does not help.

Post Likes
    Any tech worth a hoot should be able to retrofit a sequencer. It is not "rocket science"
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Unfortunately that’s the way it is.

50 - 75% of the techs are not qualified or are sales techs.

Once you find one take real good care of him / her!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandu View Post
    Can anyone here help me? Need model number for the sequencer in the furnace. Below are the details of the furnace:

Company - BDP Company
    Model - 961-042-015-A

Any help is appreciated.
    That model is the 961A***** series. I have the manuals for this now 45 year old unit, but Carrier does not even list the parts for it on their own dealer website.

That tells me one thing - they do not want you repairing this unit. With that said, a decent tech should be able to figure this out and make a current day sequencer work.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Any tech worth a hoot should be able to retrofit a sequencer. It is not "rocket science"
    Trying to find that tech. Would have hired you in a heartbeat if you were in Indy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Unfortunately that’s the way it is.

50 - 75% of the techs are not qualified or are sales techs.

Once you find one take real good care of him / her!

You got that right. The first tech didnt even touch it and had his sales guy come in and gave me a 5 figure quote to replace it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    That model is the 961A***** series. I have the manuals for this now 45 year old unit, but Carrier does not even list the parts for it on their own dealer website.

That tells me one thing - they do not want you repairing this unit. With that said, a decent tech should be able to figure this out and make a current day sequencer work.
    I found the installation manual online for this model but it did not have the sequencer part number in it. Any idea what kind of sequencer would work with this model?

Post Likes
    A sequencer is just a switch to turn on the heating elements in stages. They all do the same thing.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    We don't service that far south but I referred him to a Bryant dealer in his area. Too bad that techs, especially the young ones, are after replacements and don't want to repair older units.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Too bad that techs, especially the young ones, are after replacements and don't want to repair older units.
    Here in Houston, a lot of companies don't want good techs, they want good "sales" techs. We have an abundance of sales techs here, this attitude is going to kill the service business for these company's in the future. This is what happens when the Mom and Pops kids take over, or big companies sell to rich clueless people, service is where most companies generate their cash flow.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast