Post Likes

Understanding furnace gas valve BTU ratings

I spoke with my HVAC guy recently when we had problems with our standing pilot in the furnace failing.

I told him that I was researching kits to convert our standing pilot to electronic ignition. He said that if I bought it he would install it, which works for me. The furnace is a Coleman Presidential III installed in 1992, with a 58000 BTU rating for heat. The kit that keeps coming up is a Honeywell Y8610U4001. There are two gas valve options, VR8304M Dual Valve Combination Gas Control or VR8204A Dual Valve Combination Gas Control, and I believe I'll need the VR8204A.

My question is this:
    The specs for gas valves tend to give either a maximum BTU rating or a range such as "20000 BTU to 150000 BTU". Will my HVAC guy be able to adjust the gas valve to provide the BTU rating my furnace needs, or do I need to find a valve that specifically says 58000 BTUs? I certainly haven't found one in my research that is that specific, or close to my furnace's rating.

I hate having to fix something after someone else (usually a nurse with a screwdriver) "repairs" it, so I know where you're coming from on DIY repairs, especially something as dangerous as a furnace. Please educate me so that I get the right parts the first time.

Post Likes
    Have your hvac guy call the Coleman distributor near you and order the kit.

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot... this was giving me the same kind of fuzzy brain that some computer programs do.