Post Likes

Pitched Roof and Split AC

I have room with a pitched roof/ceiling (slope of 2:12 as permitted by the city) and I want to install a split AC. My question:

Will the position of the internal unit of the split AC with respect to the ceiling in any way be affected by the slope of the ceiling OR should I just make sure to maintain the product specifications for minimum clearances? Are there any particular guidelines?

Post Likes
    I don't understand your question.
    Are you having the indoor unit installed in the attic? Why are you concerned with the ceiling? The unit should be installed in accord with specified clearances.

I suspect that a 2:12 roof will make for a very small attic and it may not have room for an air handler.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    No, the indoor unit is not installed in the attic and there is no attic. It will be mounted on a wall. One person claiming to be a professional said that since the ceiling has a pitch the internal unit should not be mounted on the wall as per product specifications. However, the product specifications for minimum clearances can be satisfactorily maintained based on the parameters of the room/ wall. I myself did some research and found that product specifications should always be maintained and pitch of a ceiling does not matter here. I brought this question here to see if I am missing something?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartk758 View Post
    No, the indoor unit is not installed in the attic and there is no attic. It will be mounted on a wall. One person claiming to be a professional said that since the ceiling has a pitch the internal unit should not be mounted on the wall as per product specifications. However, the product specifications for minimum clearances can be satisfactorily maintained based on the parameters of the room/ wall. I myself did some research and found that product specifications should always be maintained and pitch of a ceiling does not matter here. I brought this question here to see if I am missing something?
    Many units are rated for 0 clearance for sides and back. I don't know any reason it can't be mounted on a shelf on the wall. Provide proper support along the length because supporting only on the ends will let it sag in the middle.

Post Likes
    This equipment has a required minimum clearance on the top, bottom, and sides. So what to do in this case? Shouldn't I just maintain the minimum clearances?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartk758 View Post
    This equipment has a required minimum clearance on the top, bottom, and sides. So what to do in this case? Shouldn't I just maintain the minimum clearances?
    How are you going to mount this on the wall? Something other than a shelf?
    Put unistrut under the unit and support it with threaded rod would be my suggestion.

Post Likes
    The unit itself cannot be pitched.
    It should be installed to maintain the minimum clearances listed.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Get a mini split!